Thread: Only one External WD My Passport 1tb drive gets detected at a time

Only one External WD My Passport 1tb drive gets detected at a time

I have two External WD My Passport 1tb drives and i want to know how can i transfer files from one drive to the other of the same type. My title might sound as a noob question but the fact is that only one external 1TB Passport gets recognized at a time and not both. I don't want to copy file form my first drive in to my system and then move the same in other. I have large files and i really don't want to waste time in doing that. I want to know if there is a way by which i can get both External WD My Passport 1tb drives recognized at the same time.

Re: Only one External WD My Passport 1tb drive gets detected at a time

Sounds weird, I don’t have any External WD My Passport 1tb drives but I have used many external drives in my system and I never had any issue in transferring files from one drive to the another no matter whether they are of the same type or not. Both of them used to get recognize as soon as I used to connect them to my system via usb’s, after which I just have to copy my stuffs form one and paste it in other. Does western digital drive work in different manner??? Do you get any error message when you connect both of them to your system one after the other???

No idea, even I am using WD external drives for the first time, actually my cousin had bought two drives and he gave me one. Today he gave me his drive full of movies, I was thinking of transferring all of them in my drive. However after connecting the first drive when I connected the other it was not getting recognized. I tried changing the ports but no avail, my system is recognizing only one of them at a time. I am not able to make out the cause of this unknown issue and I dint had any title for describing the same so I made a simpler one. Hope someone over here will help me out.

No worries, I guess your drive might be getting recognized in disk management but it simply won’t be coming up in my computer. If that’s true then just go to control panel > Administrative tool > Computer management > Disk management.
    Now in Disk management window check if both of your drives are listed or not. If they are and one of them might be appearing offline than you can simply right click on that one and select the option for making it online.
    Once you do that you should be able to see it as a drive in “My computer” and you should not have any issue in transferring files from one drive to another.

Hey you were right, my both drives were listed in disk management and one of them was offline. However, I have set the other one online but I am not able to access my drive, it has some files already. Whenever I am trying to access it I get a message for formatting the drive, I don’t get the same message when I disconnect the other one, it seems as if there is some kind of monopoly going on and I am not able to figure it out. Since both of them are getting recognized and functioning individually, I think there is something wrong in my system and not the drive. Do you have any other workaround to suggest me because I am completely blank now? They are showing up with same drive letter in “My computer”.

That might be the problem, better rename both drives differently and cross check if you are able to carry out your transfer without any further issues. Just where you got the option for setting your drive online, there will be an option for changing its drive letter. So name them different say G and F for example.

Worked like a charm, I have just changed the drive letter of both drives and now I don’t have any issue in accessing both the drives. I have started the transfer process as well, thanks for your help.