Thread: WD TV live compatibility with hard drives

WD TV live compatibility with hard drives

I have WD TV live and I want to know if it will be compatible with 3TB Western Digital My Book Essential or not? If not than which are the compatible drives for it?? I have asked about this thing to my friends and have got quite varying response and I am pretty confused by now. So I wanted to confirm it from experts here, thanks in advance.

Re: WD TV live compatibility with hard drives

As far as I am aware 3TB Western Digital My Book Essential will be compatible with WD TV live. You don’t need to worry, just make sure that you are updating firmware of your WD TV live to latest available.

Thanks for the quick response mate, what about 3TB Seagate GoFlex Desk external hard drive?? Will that be compatible? I have heard that WD TV live is not compatible with drives other than WD but I just need an assurance if that’s true. On doing a quick search I have gone through some threads and most of the people have mentioned that Seagate GoFlex Desk drives are not compatible with WD TV live but there are some people who have mentioned that they were able to get it work after firmware upgrade. What will you say on that???

See I don’t see any Seagate External USB Hard drives in compatibility list of WD TV live and I stick to that. So according to me it won’t work but just like you said you have found some people mentioning that they have got Seagate drive working after doing firmware upgrade and all, I will like to inform you that there are many people who are still not able to get Western Digital My Book Essential drives working with WD TV live even after firmware upgrade. So it’s really hardy to decide whether an external drive no matter from WD or Seagate will work with WD TV live or not until one test them out their self. I was sure about 3TB Western Digital My Book Essential as one of my friends have tested it out with WD TV live.

I wasn't really aware of that but now after doing a little bit of research I do see people having issues with WD drives as well. It seem as I will have to stick to 3TB Seagate GoFlex Desk external hard drive because of your assurance.

These are \Western Digital External USB Hard Drives that are compatible with WD TV live. I also wanted to share that WD has mentioned that they don’t guarantee compatibility of any specific third-party hard drives with WD TV live but they don’t say that they wont work.
    Device Name - Model Number
    • WD My Passport Studio Edition - WDMSxxxxx, WDMTxxxxx
    • WD My Passport Elite Edition - WDMLxxxxx, WDBAACxxxxxxx
    • WD My Passport Essential Edition - WDMExxxxx, WDBAAAxxxxxxx
    • WD My Passport Essential SE - WDMETxxxxxx, WDBABMxxxxxxx
    • WD My Passport for Mac - WDBAABxxxxxxx
    • WD Elements Portable - WDE1MSxxxxx, WDBAARxxxxxxx
    • WD Elements Desktop - WDE1Uxxxxx, WDBAAUxxxxxxx
    • WD My Book Essential Edition - WDH1Uxxxxxx, WDBAAFxxxxxxx
    • WD My Book Elite Edition - WDBAAHxxxxHCH
    • WD My Book Studio Edition - WDH1Qxxxxxx
    • WD My Book Home Edition - WDH1Cxxxxx