Thread: Microsoft keyboard's left shift key and enter key dont work

Microsoft keyboard's left shift key and enter key dont work

hi any one who can help me would be good

i was wondering why some of my microsoft keyboard key won't work specificly the left shift key and the main enter key (not the one on the number pad at the side)....?
    and yes i do have an extra keyboard but i don't like it very much!!!
    any one with information can preferably private message me via this site.

Re: Microsoft keyboard's left shift key and enter key dont work

It could be that you might have enabled the sticky keys on your computer. So turn it off again, follow the below steps:
    • Open the Control Panel. (Classic View)
    • Ease of access centre >
    • Click on Make the keyboard easier to use.
    • Uncheck Turn on Stick Keys and click on Apply.
    • Click on Save.

i tried that before i even posted this thread!!?

I also tried uninstalling and re-installing the keyboard drivers!!!

So far it looks like i will be stuck with my old but trusty ps/2 connector keyboard and my good lexar usb wired mouse suddenly won't scroll up as of yesterday. It greatly affects my gameing exprerience!!!
    Please if anyone can help me that would be good!!!!

i tried that and it didn't work and also my good lexar usb wired mouse won't scroll up and it is very very anoying when playing games

Well, can you tell us how old is the mouse and keyboard. If it is too old, then it could be possible it might have worn up or due to some dust particles which may be residing inside, it is not working the way it should. Have you tried connecting the mouse or keyboard to another pc and checked if it is behaving the same way or not? If it is then consider buying a new keyboard and a mouse.

no i have not tried that i am at school right now but i will try that as soon as i get home for the keyboard but the mouse is fairly new only a few years old!!

the keyboard is probably as old as the computer though whitch is about 6-7 years old.

i would go and buy a new computer but the money i have in my account is very low

Is the lexar usb wired mouse optical or a laser or a ball mouse? If it is a ball mouse, i think there is a way to remove the ball from inside and then clean it with some dry cloths and then put it back again. Then check if the mouse is working or not. Also, 6-7 years for a keyboard is way too long and i suggest you should buy a new one, since keyboards these days hardly cost much.

optical mouse and i reilised that it was the keyboard because the ps/2 keyboard works fine until i enter a game then the numpad doesn't work (p.s i play minecraft so the keyboard numpad is essential for ease of use for picking items in the inventory.!!!

Can you go into the device manager and from their uninstall the keyboard by right clicking on the device listed under keyboard and restart and scan for new hardware. Check if the system is able to automatically update the drivers for the device and also check if the keyboard problem is resolved or still it is giving your same problems.

Quote Originally Posted by super cop View Post
    Can you go into the device manager and from their uninstall the keyboard by right clicking on the device listed under keyboard and restart and scan for new hardware. Check if the system is able to automatically update the drivers for the device and also check if the keyboard problem is resolved or still it is giving your same problems.
    does not work for me tried that ended up buying a new-ish keyboard.

So, is the new keyboard working for you? I agree that since the old keyboard was pretty old so it might have worn off and it was time you needed a new keyboard. Anyhow, you can try to pull out all the keys from the keyboard and see if there are any dust accumulated and since the keyboard is not working now, so you can do some troubleshooting with it on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by expertz View Post
    So, is the new keyboard working for you? I agree that since the old keyboard was pretty old so it might have worn off and it was time you needed a new keyboard. Anyhow, you can try to pull out all the keys from the keyboard and see if there are any dust accumulated and since the keyboard is not working now, so you can do some troubleshooting with it on your own.
    yes it works fine but i do not want to mess with the old keyboard as it possible i might damage it further. the partial non working keyboard is a Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000v1.0 i was wondering because i can see the MS Part NO. and the Product ID that maybe i could get it looked at or replaced because i like it better than my current WORKING keyboard?
    Does anyone think that it is possible or should i do the troubleshooting myself?

tried your solution about checking if there was a lot of accumilated dust and there was along with other things thanks

IT turns out it was the key's metal "spring" if i called it the right name.
    ANYWAY i traded the ENTER nonworking "KEY spring" with the other non working "KEY Spring" from the non-working Shift key and low and behold it Worked

for anyone who has this kind of "spring" problem tell them to check that first before suggesting to them to buy a new keyboard (not that you guys did that necessarily) but just for reference tell them that.

ok and thanks