Thread: What could be drawbacks of Bottom-Mounted PSU

What could be drawbacks of Bottom-Mounted PSU

I am building a new rig and I am planning to get “Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case” Just some days earlier when I shared the same things with some of friends than almost all of them said that getting a case having Bottom-Mounted PSU is not a Good idea, I am not able to make out what’s wrong in that, so can anyone let me know what are actual drawbacks of Bottom-Mounted PSU?

Re: What could be drawbacks of Bottom-Mounted PSU

Bottom-Mounted PSU case have simple design and are cheap as well and that’s why some people still prefer it, anyways disadvantage of Bottom-Mounted PSU is that there is no proper airflow for it because of which it is likely to run hotter and you will have to install another fan at bottom. Other than this there are possible chances of dust getting sucked into it as air drawn into the case above the floor typically has more dust within it.

I really don’t think having power supply on bottom is a good idea. Installing exhaust fan on the bottom is other issue, one has to fight with the physic of case to install it. If you want then you can elevate it on firm surface with mounting feet for better airflow.

There are number of negative effects of having power supply at bottom. Like Pette D Champ have mentioned above you will have to install another fan at bottom for better airflow, which will add more noise and cables in your case. These things are hard to manage, if you don’t install a fan at bottom and use run your system like that then even your graphics cards will get heated. You might be thinking when there are several disadvantages of Bottom-Mounted PSU cases then why companies are manufacturing it right? It is just because people are still requesting such cases, they think having everything at bottom is fine, they still like to carry old trend.

My views may be different but I am just sharing what I have gone through, I think getting bottom mounted PSU is a better
    choice as compared to top one. First of all case gets heavy if psu mounted at top, as far as the airflow is concerned now days cases have vents on bottom where psu has to be mounted. The vents allow air to flow in and keep PSU cool, if at all your case doesn’t have vent then you can add a fan at bottom, I don’t think there’s a big deal in it, I dint had any issue in mounting fan at bottom but it might depend on physic of your case. I agree that additional fan will get in some extra cables but they really won’t block airflow. I have been using a Bottom-Mounted PSU from a long time and I am quite satisfied with it.

I don’t think Bottom-Mounted PSU or top mounted psu makes much difference, it just depend on the case might be getting. The only advantage I see with top mounted psu is its cable management. I have come across many people mentioning that airflow is not good with Bottom-Mounted psu’s but there is really nothing like that. VARIJ has made a very good point about the vents at bottom, they are really helpful for maintaining the airflow and draw cool air in if you mount a fan for it. Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case is quite good and I don’t think you will run I to any issues that has been mentioned here.