Thread: Bluescreen when installing fresh copy of windows 7 on SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD

Bluescreen when installing fresh copy of windows 7 on SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD

I have bought SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD for my system and I am using it as my main drive after installing windows 7 on the same. Things were working fine for a week but I don’t know what went wrong with it and since yesterday I am encountering random Bluescreens. I had made a clean and fresh installation of windows 7 so I don’t think there should be any issue as such. Can this be an issue with my new Extreme 120GB SSD or there might be something else causing the blue screen?? I did not had any such issue when I was using my old WD hard drive. It all started after installing 120GB SSD. I did not had any issue with the installation as well as with windows 7 installation. I have checked regarding the same in other forum and have come across many people facing the same Bluescreen but there hasn’t been any solution to fix this. The only solution that I have come across is using this drive as secondary rather than main. Many people have suggested the same and have I have found some following it but I don’t think that it is a actually a solution, I have bought this drive for using it as my main drive and I don’t think I should run in to issues like this. I wanted to know if there is anything I can try out to get it working as my main drive? Else I will better claim for a refund? Any suggestions?

Re: Bluescreen when installing fresh copy of windows 7 on SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD

I agree to your point that there I no point of using it as secondary drive just because it is not working fine as main drive. Since you have mentioned that things were working fine for a week I wanted to know if you have installed any applications after a week?? There are possibilities that some corrupt application might be causing the Bluescreen. If you are aware of the recently installed applications then you can test your system by uninstalling them one by one and making a reboot. If you want then you can simply try doing a system restore as well, I think that will be a better idea, I mean you can take backup of your data and perform system restore. If that doesn’t help then you will have to reinstall windows. I can’t think of any other solution that might help you in this case.

Re: Bluescreen when installing fresh copy of windows 7 on SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD

Even I have thought of reinstalling windows as Bluescreen are getting more frequent by time but I have kept that as my last option. I have recently taken backup of all my crucial data so I can reinstall windows anytime. I will like to know if there is anything else that I can try out for fixing this issue rather than simply reinstalling windows?

Hey you can try out updating the bios of your motherboard and firmware of your SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD. I am not sure if that will work but you can definitely try these things out in such situation. If that doesn’t make any difference in your case then you can try clearing cmos as well. If at all you still don’t get any luck with that then you can proceed with reinstallation of your windows. First Give try to what I have mentioned and let me know if it works best of luck.

I have now tried updating bios of my motherboard and firmware of my SanDisk ssd but no avail. Other than this I have tried clearing cmos as well but no luck. I will try out reinstalling windows and will let you all know if I get any help from them.

If you want then you can try enabling HIPM and DIPM for your SSD and check out if that’s making any difference. Assuming your SSD support HIPM and DIPM and is having SATA connection with AHCI mode enabled in the BIOS you will be able to manage your power usage. If you forgot to enable AHCI in BIOS before installing Windows 7 then enable it now and follow the below steps:

1. You have to add "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" to Advanced Power Settings, which you can get from here.
    2. After adding it set “HIPM or HIPM+DIPM ‘setting in drop down list of "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" in power options and set it from 0 to 300,000 milliseconds accordingly.
    3. You just have to download Add_AHCI_Link_Power_Management_HIPM-DIPM.reg from the above link and save it to desktop.
    4. After that right click on the same and click on Merge, when you get a prompt then click on Run> Yes> Yes> OK. Once it gets added you can set HIPM and DIPM settings for your SSD as I have mentioned earlier.