Thread: Fix for error message “The parameter is incorrect” when accessing ink levels or Maintenance Tasks Toolbox

Fix for error message “The parameter is incorrect” when accessing ink levels or Maintenance Tasks Toolbox

Guys I am just starting this thread to share fix for an error message saying “The parameter is incorrect” when accessing ink levels or Maintenance Tasks Toolbox. This error mostly comes up after upgrading firmware of hp printers.

Method 1:
    Simply try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software and see if the issue is getting solved. If not then you can proceed with the below method.

Method 2:

Deleting XmlFileCache directory:

For windows xp:

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HP\<PRODUCT> where PRODUCT is the product that you might have installed. The above path is the default path it will vary if you might have changed it. You just have to delete the XmlFileCache directory found in the mentioned path.

For windows Vista/Windows 7:
    Go to C:\ProgramData\HP\<PRODUCT> where PRODUCT is the product that you might have installed. If you don’t see the ProgramData then try changing the folder view so that you can see the hidden files and folders. Once you get it then delete the XmlFileCache directory found there.

Note: The above fix is for the below hp printers only:
    • HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One series
    • HP Officejet Pro 8100 ePrinter
    • HP Officejet 6700 Premium e-All-in-One
    • HP Officejet 6600 e-All-in-One

Re: Fix for error message “The parameter is incorrect” when accessing ink levels or Maintenance Tasks Toolbox

Hey thanks for sharing that, I was looking after a fix for error message “The parameter is incorrect” and came across this thread. I am having HP Officejet 6700 Premium e-All-in-One and my system is running on windows 7. I have tried out the mentioned fix and was surprised to get rid of the error message with the very first attempt. You really saved some hours of search for me.