Thread: Synapse SSD caching on encrypted drive

Synapse SSD caching on encrypted drive

Guys I am having a drive encrypted with TrueCrypt and I wanted to know if there is a way by which I can use Synapse SSD caching with it. I have heard that I can but I am not sure about it, is there anyone who is aware of this and can clear my doubt regarding it?? Help regarding this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Synapse SSD caching on encrypted drive

I am not sure but I think that you can use dataplex with TrueCrypt, it has been found to be working well with Bitlocker. I don’t think there should be any using both as Synapse SSD caching works with device level IO. Just try it out and let me know if it works.

No it won’t work, I had installed dataplex on a drive encrypted with TrueCrypt but I was getting an error message in the status of dataplex. I had tried installing dataplex after decrypting windows partition as well but it didn’t work. I think that truecrypt and dataplex boot loaders are getting interrupted with each other. If you want then you can try out the same and check out if it is working out for you or not.

I will suggest you to try it out yourself, I will like to inform you that I have used Synapse SSD caching on drive encrypted with TrueCrypt. I really did not had any issues with it, the benchmark of the SSD was same whether it was encrypted or not. There was no difference in the boot time as well and no errors at all, before trying it out even I had checked out the web. I had come across a number of negative points regarding it, that boot time gets affected, security risk and all. You should really give it a try if you want, if at all you encounter any issue then you can stop using it.

I agree to you on that point, there are horrible answers regarding Dataplex with Synapse Cache, anyways even I am here to share that you don’t have to worry about anything and you can use Dataplex with Synapse Cache. Some sites have tested them out and below are their benchmark results:
    • Before Dataplex + Synapse Cache - 65-70 MB/Sec read/write
    • After Dataplex + Synapse Cache - 195-200 MB/Sec Read/ write
    • Without encryption you can get better result than above, dataplex + synapse works great and you will definitely get read/write with and without encryption.