Thread: NH-D14 cooler outbeats H80 easily?

NH-D14 cooler outbeats H80 easily?

I am regular overclocker and I take PCs for overclocking. Many times it happens that some PCs start getting high temperatures while overclocking and thus I need to use High end cooling devices. Till date I was using Corsair H80, but now I started getting more PCs, so I brought NH-D14 cooler. After working on it for few days, I realized that NH-D14 cooler provides much better cooling than Corsair H80. I don’t know if it is just me, but has anyone else noticed it. I think that NH-D14 cooler is much better than Corsair H80 in terms of size and ease in using it. Does anyone else too feel the same way about NH-D14 cooler?

Re: NH-D14 cooler outbeats H80 easily?

Actually NH-D14 cooler is much better in placement than Corsair H80 as it is smaller in size. Corsair H80 doesn’t have proper notches to have it attached in the 120 mm slot. I had to create an adjustable slot to attach the Corsair H80 in my CPU cabinet out of a scrap tin sheet after which it got properly attached on the back. But even after this, a new problem raised was that Corsair H80 wouldn’t provide enough space for the motherboard’s placement. I had to remove the DVD drive and shift it 3 slots down to have the body of Corsair H80 adjusted along with the front side of the CPU cabinet. Again to adjust the pipes and the cooling fans connected to Corsair H80, I had to change the positioning of wires and connectors of my DVD drive. It was a troublesome work I had to go through.

I too found that NH-D14 cooler is very easy to use as compared to Corsair H80 water cooling system. When using NH-D14 cooler we just have to make simple connections on the motherboard for power supply and go on attaching the cooling fans and other parts in different parts of the CPU cabinet. It is almost easy as plugging the devices and playing them. But as compared to it, Corsair H80 is very difficult. First we have to connect the radiator and the main body of it. Placing it is a mammoth task. Then we have to place the water tubes such that they provide cooling as well as don’t interfere with the working of peripherals. It takes a long time to properly set the computer using Corsair H80.

The main reason behind the problematic fitting of Corsair H80 and easier fitting process of NH-D14 cooler is because Corsair H80 is an liquid cooling system and NH-D14 cooler is an air cooling system. It is obvious that liquid cooling system has difficult installation as it needs many peripherals to be adjusted and worked upon. Also as the water cooling system uses water and needs to keeps it flowing around the CPU cabinet, it becomes complicated task. Whereas NH-D14 cooler has to just pump in and pump out the hot air and cool air. So this is the main reason for this huge difference.

One thing I would like to tell you is that as you mentioned in your question that you have been overclocking for long time now and you have been using Corsair H80 for all this time. It may have happened that your Corsair H80 has been overused, day and night. Also you mentioned that you do overclocking for many PCs. So taking out Corsair H80 and placing it in many times affects the system of Corsair H80. I think that your regular use and constant change in system must have led to degrading in performance of Corsair H80. I don’t think that NH-D14 cooler is more efficient in cooling as Corsair H80. Maybe they are equal but Corsair H80 can’t give lesser cooling than NH-D14 cooler.

If thought properly over this topic, then I’d say that Corsair H80 is best cooler available for huge systems, especially servers and high end gaming devices. But if you use NH-D14 cooler in them, then it will obviously not work. I don’t know which PCs you are overclocking or what size are they of. But I am sure that if you use Corsair H80 for large systems, it will give you better cooling than NH-D14 cooler any day. I think it is silly to make comparison between NH-D14 cooler and Corsair H80. But still if you think that Corsair H80 is performing less than NH-D14 cooler, you can check if there is no dust settled over the flow pipes. This dust tends to block the coolness coming out of the pipes.

If you are finding it difficult to get the best performance out of Corsair H80, then check the placements of the flow pipes on them. Check if you are providing proper outlet for the Corsair H80 to throw out the hot air. Maybe due to the placement of the pipes inside the cabinet, you think that the cool air is not being circulated properly. Another suggestion, it is better to use the Corsair H80 along with some cooling fans inside the CPU cabinet. They help to flow the cool air around the system and not let it be restricted to selected parts only. I’d suggest you to try it out before claiming Corsair H80 to be weaker than NH-D14 cooler. I too feel that Corsair H80 is much better than NH-D14 cooler.

Check the power supply you are providing to both the cooling devices, that is NH-D14 cooler and Corsair H80. Maybe the PSU you are trying to use along with Corsair H80 must not be powerful enough. Since Corsair H80 is a water cooling device, it needs to function more than NH-D14 cooler. Corsair H80 needs to pump in and pump out the liquid, then pump out the hot air. As compared to it, NH-D14 cooler has to just rotate the blades of the fans so that hot air is pumped out. So in short, Corsair H80 needs more power than NH-D14 cooler. Maybe the PSU was not powerful enough to support Corsair H80 and thus it optimized its performance.