Thread: How to read NTFS drive on CentOS

How to read NTFS drive on CentOS

Can anyone help me to find a way to read ntfs files on CentOS. I had external drive which has more than 100Gb of data. The external drive is formatted in ntfs drive. I was not aware that CentOS does not read a this file format system. What can I do now. I want to transfer some files from this to the system.

Re: How to read NTFS drive on CentOS

The reason why CentOS do not read ntfs partition because there is no ntfs driver installed in it. You have to download and install ntfs drive and then only the operating system will be able to identify the file system.

For that you can use a tool called as NTFS-3g. If this is installed then you will be able to mount your external drive. The setup is bit complicated because centos has minimum repositories at the time of fresh installation. Then you have to add that in the etc/include to run the setup from terminal. You can also download the package file and run that through a installer. It is not a complicated but somehow time consuming. I had did this number of time. Do not forget to reboot your system after installation the package.

If you are not able to run the setup from terminal then the best way to do that is using centos terminal. You can do that with yum. The command for the same is yum install fuse fuse-ntfs-3g. Add this and provide your login access. Another thing for installing this you have to gain admin right. The command to gain root control is su. Type su and hit enter. You can can access be the root user to install the package.

NTFS-3G is the only option available for centos to read ntfs file directory. After installing that just double click on the system partition to read the content of files inside it.

I tried to access many resource to find ntfs support on centos. But maximum time I found that same thing mentioned above. CentOS does not support any type of ntfs file format and because of which it is unreadable. The more older version you are on, the more issue you can see. Anyhow I am testing the same on a bootable drive of centos. I had made a bootable usb first and that failed. I don't know why. But when I did the same with a cd drive, it worked.

The operating system might have some kind of issues related to new file system and drivers. So you can try to download ntfs-3g to get access to ntfs files. Other than this I am also trying to find some kind of software through which I can extract the file from ntfs drive to existing partition. But that never worked out.

That is right. I had atleast converted my all system partition to fat drive. I though this might work and it did. Basically when you are planing to configure any san or nas drive then do the check the partition compatibility.

I do not understand why you want ot use centos. There are latest linux operating system like ubuntu and mint. This operating system belongs to linux only. They support all type of file partition and read ntfs clearly. I am using ubuntu for more than a year and found it more helpful. It is clean and simple. There are tons of repositories available for it where you can download the tool of your choice. Centos is not recommended for a single pc purpose. It is a enterprise operating system made to handle large network and servers. For personal computing you need a more simple and to the point operating system. Among them ubuntu lts is the one I liked the most. Nice with some eye popping effect make it more easy to use and configure.

Compare to reading ntfs file on centos, it also a bit more complicated to unpack a compressed archive. Centos needs everything to be installed manually one by one.

For the compressed file thing I will recommend you to use tool like file roller. This software can help you to unpack drive and the installation is also very easy. You can install both of them one by one. File roller comes with rpm installer package. You can use terminal for the same. All you need to do is add the software repository properly so that it can detect the same and give you the download. It is quiet not complicated to configure ntfs driver also. There is a ntfs kernel driver for linux.

But I am not sure about the version. To find the kernel driver version you will need to use the command #uname -r. This will show the kernel version and on that basis you will have to search for the right ntfs driver. If the driver is available for older version you have to downgrade your kernel.

I had installed ntfs-3g on my centos system. Now I can mount my ntfs partition directly on the screen. This is quiet comfortable and there is no need to modify the system partition completely.