Thread: Keeping cheap psu is recommended or not

Keeping cheap psu is recommended or not

I want to know that is keeping a cheap psu is safer or not. In my system I have a 250w psu. I am not interested in upgrading that. I have a 4Gb ram and a gpu attached. The gpu was purchased some week ago. I had notice that the system takes quiet a long time to boot. With a temperature monitor app I had seen it is rising to some extent. What can be cause of some. In my entire system I found that only psu is bit low powered other stuff are fine.

Re: Keeping cheap psu is recommended or not

In my views you must upgrade that. For gpu I think the best psu you can go for is above 400w. This is the most default sold in market. And if your system requirement rises then you go for higher.

Yes, it does not matter that you are using the same today or not. But in future this will benefit. Using a higher psu is not going to create any problem. In turn it will help your system to receive ample of power for many processes. 400w is the best one I think. They can fit for gpu and regular system usage. For those who overclock their system needs a higher one. Even 700w is quiet less for them. I have a system with Intel Core i3, 4GB ram and 1Gb DDR3 gpu. I had upgraded my psu long before when I added the graphic card.

Till yet everything works smoothly. The power requirement rises on the basis of need. There is no exact chart on web which can tell us what power watt we really need. Like if I have 4 fans extra added then do I need to increase the same or not. As per my experience 400w works smoothly and allows your system to perform well. Every hardware needs a amount of power to work and on that basis manufacturer releases psu in market. You can buy any latest mid range one for better output. Or else low power can degrade your hardware life as time goes on. Upgrades are always good for your system.

I can give you a short idea how actually a system requirement is counted. 250w is best for a system which has following :
    • 1 Hard drive
    • 1 GPU
    • 2 sticks of RAM
    • 1 Core 2 Duo type cpu
    • 1 PCIE card slot
    • 4 USB
    • 1CPU FAN

Even for such system minimum 300w is needed. Because your system might need more power for some work. Like playing games.

It is right. You must upgrade your cpu and do not rely on cheap models. In future if you go for more rams or additional cpu fan then this will help you. The most common upgrade is hard drive. We buy additional drives to get more storage space. At that point the hard drive will not work better if there is poor power supply in your system. 400w is the minimum even I will recommend you to go for. My old system which is a pentium 4 hardly survived on the powersupply you mentioned.

Also you must remember that when put a low range powersupply in your system, the cpu and other hardware life degrades as they do not receive appropriate power. You can take advice from any technician in your area which can tell what is better for your system.

I do not understand why you are thinking so much on that. 400w is the minimum requirement and you will need higher if you need smooth performance. Who gave you that 250w psu.

There is a powersupply calculator on web. You can visit the website to get a rough idea about the amount of power you need for your system. It is recommended that you must test your system first. I had seen that calculator which can give you a reference of minimum usage. Like for example for a regular system with cpu, ram and separate gpu can work on 250w minimum. But that is too low. The output will be decreased. Like if you play game your cpu and gpu are the most used hardware. At that point they need maximum power and if not provided the system will start lagging.

This will reduce the systems output. It is recommended that you must upgrade the smps if any fallback is noticed. If you are not sure which one to buy go on any shop and ask for good psu of 400w. That will do. Because some brand are costlier like corsair. There are dedicated gaming psu in the market available which offers you good warranty support and performance.

Power is not used when your system lies ideal. At that point 250w can be effective. But when you operating it like playing games, editing graphics files, etc the power supply is most used. I had seen many articles which says clearly that a system hardware degrades due to poor power supply support.

Better upgrade it. I had read all the suggestion here which clearly says that you need to get a new psu. 250w will not work much. I had seen at the time of purchase psu is not given more importance. It is ignored. But the same then creates issue in future. By default I had ample of new system comes with 400w psu only. Because the manufacturer knows the requirement may rise anytime.

I was too confuse like you at the time of getting a assembled system. I fitted everything well, but was not able to understand the performance failure. It was too poor. Later on I purchase the psu on my friend recommendation. My stable lies stable from that point. What I know that when you buy a new system, mostly the seller does not gives you poor psu.

It depends. I had purchased a old system in which receive 250w psu. I upgraded that to 400w, added a gpu and thats all. The system just works like a new one.