Thread: How to disable APM on Seagate ST1000DM003 completely

How to disable APM on Seagate ST1000DM003 completely

I have bought Seagate ST1000DM003 and it want to get rid of the parking, I have heard that Disabling APM will help in getting rid of the same but I have not come across a solution to disable APM completely. I have tried using CrystalDisk and have tried disabling APMbut it is getting enabled after cold boot. So I wanted to know if anyone out here is aware of a solution for disabling APM completely??? Any help regarding this issue will be highly appreciated.

Re: How to disable APM on Seagate ST1000DM003 completely

If you want then you can try using Hdparm, if you are not aware of the same then I will lie to inform you that Hdparm is basically a Linux native command line tool which is used for changing APM. It can be used for preventing frequent parking of disk drive head thus helps in reducing the chirping noise as well. You can download hdparm package for windows (msi) from the below attachment. There are a no of people like you who have reported hard drive clicking or say a faint beep at random intervals which I caused by drive parking its head. It occurss mostly when the drive is idle and rarely when drive is busy. There are some other basic solutions like indexing or defragmenting the drive but they have not found to be that helpful. You just have to download and install Hdparm, there are some Predefined cmd scripts for setting common HDD APM values. You can use # hdparm -B 255 had for stopping the drive from parking and # hdparm -B 254 had for lowering it. Just try it out and let me know if you find it to be helpful.

You can also try using quietHDD, it is a small Windows application (~60 KBytes) for getting rid of the chirping noise. quietHDD uses small amout of RAM and it is quite powerful, Functional. It can be used for disabling APM (Advanced Power Management) features as well as for modifying Automatic Acoustic Management (AAM) feature. It supports modern PATA and SATA harddrive and is compatible with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 200x, Windows Vista.

You can try out the solution that has been mentioned above but if they are not making any difference in your case then you can try updating the firmware of your Seagate ST1000DM003.I ma not sure if that would help but I have come across people who have who have mentioned that they were facing same issue and were able to reduce the chirping to much extent by updating the firmware to the latest. So if you want then you can try doing the same and see if you are getting any luck with it.

I have tried using Hdparm as well as quietHDD but then I will like to share that they are not permanently disabling Advanced Power Management and I am still able to hear the chirping noise after using those tool. Other than this I have tried updating the firmware of my Seagate ST1000DM003 as well but that’s not making any difference in my case. I really hope that come up with a firmware update for fixing this, while looking after a solution for the same I have come across many people facing same issue and many have reported to Seagate as well. I don’t know why there has not been any official from their side addressing a fix for this issue. I am really disappointed with Seagate, might stop buying their products from now.