Thread: system freezes when copying multiple files on Seagate St3000dm001 drive

system freezes when copying multiple files on Seagate St3000dm001 drive

I have set up 3 Seagate St3000dm001 drive in 6 - bay raid enclosure using USB 3.0. The problem that I am facing with the same is that when I am copy several files over 400 mb then I don’t know why the process gets freeze for some seconds after copying the first file and before starting the other. I am not having any issue when I am transferring single large files it just happens for multiple files. Is this an issue with the Seagate St3000dm001 drive? Has anyone else faced the same or the issue is just in my case??? Any ideas?

Re: system freezes when copying multiple files on Seagate St3000dm001 drive

I am having the same 4 x Seagate St3000dm001 drives in raid configuration but I haven’t faced any such issues by now. Something is surely wrong in your case, I just wanted to know that are you using the drive internally or you are using them in enclosure?? If you are using them internally then try using them in internally or vice versa and see if it is making any difference. I also wanted to know what happens when you put them in a spanning configuration?? If you haven’t tried that than try it out and let me know so that I can have a better idea of the issue you are facing and will try to help you with as well.

Before I comment on this I want to know the below things:
    Does the same issue occur when you are using those drives alone??
    Are you using USB2 or usb 3?
    Have you tried out updating the firmware of the hard drive??
    Have you tried using the drives on some other computer?
    Just let me know these things for further assistance.

By now I have tried out the below things:
    1. I was using the drive with enclosure but now I have tried using it internally and that does not seem to be making any difference. The issue is still the same, I can easily reproduce the issue.
    2. I have tried putting them in a spanning configuration but that did not helped.
    3. I have tried resting those drives alone and I am able to reproduce the same issue that way as well.
    4. I have tried using USB2 as well as usb 3 but no avail.
    5. I have trie4d updating the firmware by using the detect firmware utility but i am getting an error message saying "Not found the target device".
    6. I have tried using the drives on my other working machine but I am getting the same response there as well.

No matter what I have tried out so far, none of them has helped me yet. I feel as if there is something wrong with the drives. What do you guy think about the same?? Is there anything else that I need to check out other than these things?? Any help regarding this will be appreciated.

Updating the firmware could have helped but since you are not able to do so I don’t think that there is anything else that you will be able to try out further. It would be better if you get your drives checked or contact the Seagate support. First contact the Seagate support and let them know about your issue with solutions you have tried out so far and check out what they have to say about the same. I have checked out regarding the firmware issue and have found several people facing different error messages for different Seagate hard drives while updating the firmware. Since too many people have been reporting the same issue, I guess Seagate might have come up with a fix for it.