Thread: Raid is getting dropped for Seagate ST3000DM001

Raid is getting dropped for Seagate ST3000DM001

I am having 3 x Seagate ST3000DM001 drive in Raid and today after transferring large amounts of data I found that the drive one drive amongst the three was not getting detected. I simply rebooted the machine and it got recognized but I am able to reproduce the same issue after transferring large amounts of data. While looking after a solution for the same over the web some people suggested me to update the firmware of the drive. I tried following the same but when I am running the firmware update tool for downloading firmware then it is simply saying “no firmware match” I don’t know what’s going wrong. Is there anything that I can try out to get rid of this issue???

Re: Raid is getting dropped for Seagate ST3000DM001

I will suggest you not to use firmware update tool for downloading firmware for now and download the firmware by breaking raid and see if you are able to download the firmware successfully. I don’t think that you should face any such issues with that. Just try it out and let me know if that helps.

In that case I will like to inform you that I have not tried breaking the raid and downloading firmware for them individually but I am getting an error message saying "Model matched but Firmware incompatible will not download firmware." I have tried flashing them individually putting them in IDE mode in the bios but that did not helped and I still get the same message. The missing drive gets detected after a reboot but I am not willing to do the same every time after transferring data. I think that there is something wrong with the drive, what do you think about this???

I just wanted to know if you are having any antivirus or security software that you are running in your system?? I am not sure but I have heard that they can interrupt and can preventing the drive from getting accessed. So if you are having any antivirus then you can disable them for that while and check out if that’s making any difference. I know it is a solution for solving this issue but if it is working out for you then you can use it as a temporary solution for now. I think that will be a better solution rather than rebooting the system every time after transferring files.

I have tried disabling antivirus and even after that I am able to reproduce the same issue easily. I don’t know why the hell I am not able to update the firmware of the same and why I am getting that error message. I have tried downloading new firmware version: CC4H but have not avail. I think that I am having a bad drive I will get it checked tomorrow.