Thread: Logitech Webcam C910 autofocus disabling help

Logitech Webcam C910 autofocus disabling help

I have Windows 7 pc with Logitech Webcam c910 installed on it. I am able to get into the logitech software and can also turn of or disable the autofocus for the Webcam c910 but the main problem is that when ever I restart my pc, the autofocus enables itself automatically and again I have to manually go into the settings and disable it. Is there any short and simple method on how to disable this autofocus permanently even after restarting the computer? I even referred to its manual, but there is nothing mentioned about it. Thanks for any reply.

Re: Logitech Webcam C910 autofocus disabling help

If that logitech webcam is a UVC compliant then with the help of DirectShow Interface IAMCameraControl you can programmatically disable the auto-focus of your webcam. A specific value can be set for the autofocus and can be set at any flags so that it doesnt works automatically. To poll current state you can use IAMCameraControl::Get since turning off the focus isnt supported by many cameras.

Code:
    IAMCameraControl *pCameraControl;
      HRESULT hr;
      hr = pFilter->QueryInterface(IID_IAMCameraControl, (void **)&pCameraControl);
      if (hr == S_OK) {
       long defaultFocusValue;   hr = pCameraControl->GetRange(CameraControl_Focus,
                                     NULL, // min
                                     NULL, // max
                                     NULL, // minstep
                                     &defaultFocusValue, // default
                                     NULL); // capflags
       hr = pCameraControl->Set(CameraControl_Focus, // property
                                defaultFocusValue, // value
                                CameraControl_Flags_Manual);
      }
    You can also use the System Device Enumerator for finding which one suits your camera by following the link here - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx

I was having a different model Logitech webcam with me and it allowed me to turn off the autofocus completely even after restaring the pc, but after upgrading the logitech software, I used to get similar problem of auto enabling of the autofocus of the webcam. So it definately means that logitech adapted some new feature in its new version of the software which shouldnt have been used. I guess by installing the older version of the logitech driver, you will be able to disable the autofocus completely, I havent tested it because I am shifted to microsoft cam now.

This problem was addressed on the logitech support site and even their support say that it is not possible to keep the autofocus in the disabled status even after restarting the pc. But there was a temporary fix for the Logitech Webcam Software 2.x. In the previous version of LWS, there was a process called LogiDPPApp.exe which was not present, so all you need to do is find it under the path c:\Windows\system32\ or c:\Windows\SysWOW64\ and then create a shortcut for that program or file in the path c:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\. So after every restart of the computer, a pop up will come on the desktop about the camera settings options, this way you can uncheck the autofocus. Till other patch comes from logitech support we will have to stick to this plan.