Thread: Logitech c920 webcam video flickers or blinks every few seconds

Logitech c920 webcam video flickers or blinks every few seconds

I have bought a Logitech c920 webcam and I have installed it successfully in my system. I did not had any issue with the installation of the same but it is not working properly, I don’t know why the video flickers or blinks every few seconds. I am not sure if there is something wrong with the webcam or my system and I am not even able to find out the cause of the issue as well. Has anyone faced the same with Logitech c920 webcam by now and can help me fixing this??

Re: Logitech c920 webcam video flickers or blinks every few seconds

I don’t think there might be something wrong with the webcam but I think it is your system. Have you updated your video card driver to the latest? If not then try out the same and see if it is making any difference. If not then try using different USB port and see if you are getting any luck there. If the issue remains the same after trying out these things then better test out the webcam with some other machine and see if it is working out fine there or not. Just check out the things I have suggested and post back the result you get.

Updating the video card driver to the latest was the first things I had tried out but doing that really did not made any difference. I have tried connecting the webcam to different usb ports but using it with usb 2.0 and even 3.0 and I am getting the same response from it. I have tried upgrading the video card driver, downgrading the same as well. By now I have tried out 5 to 6 different version of Catalyst drivers and unfortunately all of them were not able to help me out. Other than this I have tried out using some other third party video recording applications as well but no avail the issue remains the same. Currently I am not having any other system at my place to carry out the test but I will definitely check it out after a couple of days at my friends place. Till then if anyone is aware of any other solutions then please share it here, it will be very helpful.

You can try performing the below things and see if you are getting any help from them:
    • While being on the Logitech Webcam Controller just un-check "RightLight" which will be under Webcam options.
    • If that does not help then try disabling hardware acceleration and see if that helps. You can disable the hardware acceleration by going in to Control Panel> Display> Settings tab> Advanced> Troubleshoot tab> and set the hardware acceleration to none.

I have not tried out the same as I am not having a Logitech c920 webcam in my case but I have found one mentioning that he was able to sort it out by changing the above things. Just give it a try and let me know if you found any one of them to be helping.

So now I have tried out un-checking "RightLight" under Webcam options and setting the hardware acceleration to none as well but unfortunately the issue is still the same. I am not getting any help from it, I think that there is something wrong with the webcam now. Is there anything that I can try out further?? I have been looking after a solution for the same over the web but I have not yet found an effective solution for solving the issue. I really did not expected to run into issue like this with a Logitech c920 webcam. I am really disappointed with the same, further help regarding this issue will be highly appreciated.

As far as I know the video flickering is caused mostly by vertical refresh rate of the monitor so if you want then you can try out modifying vertical refresh rate. You can refer to the below steps for the same.
    • Right-click on Windows desktop select Properties and select “Display Properties.” Tab.
    • Now Select Settings tab >Advanced option> Monitor tab, and in the drop-down menu you can change the vertical refresh rate settings. Selecting a 75 hertz or higher is a better option. When you are done with these changes then Click on apply and restart your system.

Try it out and post back the result that you get after this solution. Best of luck.

I have found that some newer webcams are capable of producing high resolution videos and images at 30fps.So if you are having a USB cable path that is too long or convoluted then there are possibilities of frames dropping, Frames dropping can cause flickering or no picture. You can just try plugging the webcam directly to your pc and progressively reconnect extension cables or hubs. There are possibilities that you might be having a low speed hub, if it is so then you will get an error message like “Could not grab image (select timeout): Resource temporarily unavailable “You should also check out for cable kinks and tight loops.

I have tried modifying vertical refresh rate and I have checked out cable kinks and tight loops as well and I don’t think there is any issue with them. I just wanted to know that what exactly you meant by “There are possibilities that you might be having a low speed hub”? I mean while checking out over the web I had come across one that such issue can be solved by adjusting the usb hub speed but then he has not mentioned how to adjust it. Are you aware of the same?? I have tried checking out for setting usb hub speed but have not found any information for it.