Thread: SanDisk Extreme SSD Firmware update R201 download for Mac, Linux and Windows

SanDisk Extreme SSD Firmware update R201 download for Mac, Linux and Windows

I am using a SanDisk SSD in my computer for storing data. I have been using it from past few months and it works great. But now I read on website of SanDisk that it has released some new firmwares for their SSDs. I don’t need to update them, but still out of curiosity I wanted to know if it will change performance of SSD in anyway. Also I have never updated the firmware of any peripheral. SO can someone tell me how to do it?

Re: SanDisk Extreme SSD Firmware update R201 download for Mac, Linux and Windows

You can download the firmwares from the official website of SanDisk. The firmwares will be available in ISO file format. You will have to download them to your PC according to the size of your SSD. There are three firmwares for three different sizes, which are 120 GB, 240 GB and 480 GB. Download properly according to the size of your SSD. If you download and update the wrong version of firmware, it might render your SSD useless. Now burn the image you downloaded on a disk and then use the disk to boot your computer. You will need to give the CD drive first preference for booting in PC and Linux. In Mac, hold ‘C’ during startup to load the CD. After the CD boots, it will take you into SanDisk Firmware Updater. Choose the drives you need to update and press Enter to begin updating. After updating restart the computer and remove the boot CD from the drive. The update will take place.

Re: SanDisk Extreme SSD Firmware update R201 download for Mac, Linux and Windows

I updated the firmware of my SSD and I started using my computer. But after using it for around one or one and half hour, the computer crashes with a blue screen. It happened to me six times in last 2 days. Before updating the firmware, it never happened and my computer was running smoothly without any problems until I updated the firmware. Also the startup of my computer has become very slow. I can’t understand why it is happening.

Maybe the firmware is not compatible with firmware of your motherboard. Maybe you will have to try updating the firmware of your motherboard too. If you are using motherboard that is around four to five years old, then it might happen that your motherboard is not built for handling SSD. You can downgrade firmware of your SSD as the previous firmware was making your SSD work properly. I think that you should wait for some days till SanDisk release firmware for old peripherals. You can then upgrade your firmware of your SSD.