Thread: Sandisk cruzer write speed is very poor

Sandisk cruzer write speed is very poor

If my Sandisk Cruzer would have been half a year or almost a year old then the slow write speed would be understandable but its just a week old and within its first week the performance of my pen drive has shown a drastic drop. I bought this 16GB pen drive for my daily usage as I keep on transferring data from my one system to another. There is not even a single day when I didn’t use this drive but from day before yesterday I noticed that the write speed decreased twice what it was at the time of purchase.

If suppose there is already some files existing in the drive and if I am trying to copy more data into it then the write speed decreases accordingly whereas if the drive is empty with nothing existing into it then the write speed drives up to the normal rate. Is there anyone who has any idea about Sandisk Cruzer drives? Do they normally show this problem or I am a special case? I am sure if I keep quite and let things going on the drive will at some point of time get corrupt or its write performance will go below the normal level creating lots of problem. Before you reply anything let me tell you that my computers are fully scanned and nothing like virus is existing into them so better you do not blame my system or suggest anything about virus.

Re: Sandisk cruzer write speed is very poor

Looks like you keep your USB drive always busy. I am sure you must be not formatting your drive before copying anything extra into it. Just deleting the folders and compensating it by copying a new one into the drive doesn’t make any sense with the performance. It’s better to format the drive before coping a new data. Formatting anything hardware before performing any new task is said to be a good practice. Not just the performance level increases but also the life of the drive improves and increases. For formatting the drive always remember to do this task using FAT32 or NTFS. You will find this option in the format window. For formatting:

• First go to my computer then right click on your USB drive and select format
    • Now when you click on the format option you will be welcomed with a format window. Make sure that you select either of the option as already stated above i.e. FAT32 or NTFS
    • Now check the option “Quick Format”. That’s it, click on format and everything is done. Your drive will be formatted.

Formatting is a good practice no doubt but for your problem its not enough. Formatting will surely improve the performance and the life of your drive but sometime the performance also depends up the present status of the data transfer process. I mean to say that whenever you are trying to copy a data into your drive it is always better to make sure that the files are transferred one after the other and one file is transferred at a time. Sometimes what happen is if you directly select multiple files and try to copy them altogether the process either proceed slow or halts at some point. This is why it is always recommended to copy one file at a time. I know coping one file at a time takes along time at least the copying process will not stop or interrupt in between.

Hey I think you people haven’t understood the issue. It’s nothing to do with the normal procedure of copying. I am sure the above person who is facing the problem is trying to point out drive which is showing a slow performance rate. Even I am facing the same problem. My Cruzer is brand new and even I have noticed that whenever I transfer any amount of data the coping goes too slow. No matter how I copy the data (one at a time or all together). I am not a regular user of Cruzer, I only use it once in two or three days but however at every use I format the drive for copying new data. But nothing seems to be making the drive better while the process. When checked on internet found many Cruzer users with the same issue.

I mostly encounter an error and from then onwards I can notice a speed decrease while coping. Even I search on net but I find it useless as there were no solution for the instead everyone was complaining about the same. Rather searching on internet I decided to experiment and do some R&D with the drive. However after a long hard work I ended up with the following result.

I found that mostly while coping files whenever I used to get any error and after I resume the error the transfer rate decreases automatically. According to my research there is nothing wrong with the Cruzer drive at least not with my drive. While starting the copy process the speed remains normal but after the error has been encountered the speed decreases a lot due to the transfer interruption. It is because the data is to be resent again which takes a long time. Obviously while resuming lot of time is wasted in getting the speed rate stable.