Thread: WD Passport 1TB not working in laptop after being dropped from half meter

WD Passport 1TB not working in laptop after being dropped from half meter

I brought a new Western digital 1TB passport external HDD because of its fast data transfer speed. I actually bought it yesterday itself and used just once. Today it was kept on cupboard which is around 7feet high, dont know how its suddenly dropped down. After that I tried connecting it to my laptop as well as my PC but its no more working now. Noone of my systems are detecting it any more.

Yesterday i transferred my many important data in it and i dont want to loose them. Is my hard drive dead ? Is there anyway i can get my data back ?

Re: WD Passport 1TB not working in laptop after being dropped from half meter

Nope, i dont think that your HDD is dead yet. Usually after falling down, HDD gets some connection problem due to loose connections and all and that causes power problems. Is there any physical damage done on your drive ? If yes, i'll suggest you to remove the case and connect the hard drive to your computer (similarly as we do with our internal hard drive). You have to understand properly and take care of Sata or IDE cables. Most of the times such hard drives work with PC considering as internal HDD. If it gets connected, simply backup your all data

As you said your bought it yesterday itself, what after backing up your Data ? Are you going to through it out because it is no more working as external drive OR are you going to use it as internal drive now on ?

Let me suggest you something. Once you got your data back and if there is no physical damage done to the drive, clean it with soft cloth. Make it look like it is not fallen. Take it to the service center and tell them that its not working. You will get a replacement or they will make it work free of cost. I have done this once and i got a new HDD.

Also if you got failed to recover data, service center guy may do it for you as well. They will back up all data in the HDD before repairing or replacing it. So dont worry about that.

I brought Samsung G3 external hard drive and got this problem too. Many times hard drive detection problem is occurred because of physical damage. Connect your hard drive and check in device manager. If it showing up in the device manager that means there is just a loose connection between drive and its case. If power light is blinking that means power voltage is low. If that kind of problem is occurred than remove the hard drive from case and recover your data. Sure it will connect in computer as internal hard drive. If it gives some sounds (beep sound) that mean it has problem with head or platter of hard drive. So, it is big issues and you need to give it o any data recovery expert.