Thread: WD My Passport Essential SE 1TB beeping and connection problem

WD My Passport Essential SE 1TB beeping and connection problem

I purchased a WD Passport Essential SE 1TB around six months ago. It was working good but now from last few days am getting some connection problem. The problem is that when I try to connect it with my computer, it wont connect in the first attempt. I need to try it 3 to 4 times. After many tries, it starts beeping for few seconds and than gets detected with the system. I dont think this is normal behavior of any hard drive. Can you guys help me out for this ?

Re: WD My Passport Essential SE 1TB beeping and connection problem

It could be probably the power supply issue. I think your external hard drive is not getting proper power supply. There could be many more reasons for the problem you stated above but before doing anything else, i'll suggest you to check the power supply cable for the hard drive. I strongly suspect that the power cord is faulty. Check it, or if you have any other power cord, just try connecting with the same. I hope your problem will be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabert View Post
    It could be probably the power supply issue. I think your external hard drive is not getting proper power supply. There could be many more reasons for the problem you stated above
    Yes, thats exactly correct. There could be many reasons for such issues. It could be power supply, USb cable or the USB port itself. So, though you are changing the cable, also try to connect it with any different USB port. Even i was annoyed once with the same situation with one of my external HDD and USB port itself was the culprit in my case. Try it out before buying a new power cord or USB cable

I had the same problem in my external hard drive. The problem was that the hard drive was getting connected to the laptop but after some time it automatically gets disconnected from the laptop and starts beeping. I used the WD Diagnostics software to perform a test to my hard drive. When I checked the hard drive by performing the quick test the hard drive was ok but when I performed the extended test the hard drive started beeping and I was unable to close the program and even unable to cancel the test. I had to close the program from the task manager and after that I disconnected the hard drive. After couple of minutes when I connected the hard drive and when I perform the test it got passed. Now I am using the hard drive in same manner and with little problem. I don’t know the exact problem with the hard drive but when I searched on the internet I found that there are heating problems in the WD external hard drives.