Thread: Attaching fans on radiators

Attaching fans on radiators

I am using a radiator in my computer to provide a proper air flow inside the CPU cabinet. The location of my CPU is such that it is covered by wooden planks from all sides making it impossible for hot air to exit automatically. To reduce the heat inside the computer, hot air generated by various peripherals needs to be eliminated. Thais is why I am using a radiator. I think that it would be better if I also install cooling fans along with the radiators as they would help me to control the amount of hot air being generated inside the CPU cabinet. Radiator which I have also has slots to attach cooling fans. Can someone tell me which cooling fans would be best to work along with the radiator?

Re: Attaching fans on radiators

The radiator that you are using is a normal water flow based radiator. It will have an inlet tank which is not visible in the above picture which contains water. This water is then sent in the flow pipes and tubes which are spread all over inside the CPU. The tubes and the flow pipes are all made out of the copper and that is why they provide a good cooling effect. But I still find the design of your radiator somewhat odd for providing proper airflow within the system. The 120 X 80 blocks of stacking with a small space between them is not that efficient. These gaps between the blocks of the radiator will accumulate the heat between them and then form a heated core between them. When you are attaching the cooling fans to the radiator, see to it that you put a rubber between the screws or the nuts that you will use for attachment. If you are using more than one fan on a single radiator, see to it that you are keeping them separated using a rubber or silicon sheet. The wires that you will be using for the power supply for the cooling fans should be soldered on the back side of the radiator.

You will need to use a good quality of coolant in the radiator. I use HTH and it works great for my radiator. You need to add just three drops of the coolant to 100 ml of water. Since you are using tubes and the flow pipes made up of copper, it is better you use HTH as it also provides anti corrosion and rusting solution itself. Many times it happens that due to the moisture in atmosphere, some amount of liquid tends to get collected outside the pipes. This can cause the growth of fungus which can damage the pipes by creating cracks on its surface. But when HTH is used, this problem is also solved as it has anti-fungal chemicals in it. Using this solution you won’t even need to have extra cooling fans in your system.

I suggest you to use two Corsair H100 cooling fans of size 120 mm. It will provide good control over its speed which you can use to decide when you want to keep the speed of the fan low or when to keep the speed of the fan high. There is also a cooling fan which is of size 240 mm and its useful as well, but since it is large in size, I don’t think that it will properly fit along with the radiator of yours. Also you will need to have some open space within the CPU cabinet.