Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to build a Soho Server?

Hardware Peripherals

Old 23-05-2012

How to build a Soho Server?

Hello guys. I need some urgent help from you all. let me post my short query. I am looking to build SOHO server at my work place. But I am not aware of what factors should be considered while building the same.

Let me know if you are having any useful information to meet my need. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 23-05-2012

Re: How to build a Soho Server?

While building or designing a SOHO server, there are few things you need to consider:
  • A SOHO should be reliable in terms of performance. It should work 24X7X365. Though there should be occasional downtime for maintenance work of the same.
  • It should be having very huge storage capacity to store data. I suggest you to get the hard disk of 2 TB at least.
  • The data safety should be the main factor. You should simply configure the server with RAID storage. It helps to avoid data loss when hard drive gets failed. Also performance seems to be increased when server is under of heave load. If you are planning to RAID setup, more hard disk need to purchase for the same. It will save data from various dangerous situation. Even though you had implemented RAID storage system I recommend that you should take backup of the data at regular interval of the time.
  • Normally we are considering SOHO server as file or print server. You should install sufficient number of processor and memory so that you can add functionality on the sever whenever needed.
Old 23-05-2012

Re: How to build a Soho Server?

In your SOHO server , simply use SCSI hard drives. SATA hard drives seems to be an appropriate options on the system where we are expecting low or medium disk activity. Even in such situation SATA should give better performance as compared to SCSI. SCSI hard disks are the fastest ever.

Second thing I wanted tell you that find out what kind of server subsystems could cause bottlenecks. You will need to focus on network interface, SCSI RAID disk subsystem if your sever supposed to be used as Database server.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , , ,