Thread: Windows temp folder is filling up because of etilqs_ files builded by WDsmartware

Windows temp folder is filling up because of etilqs_ files builded by WDsmartware

I am using a Western Digital Passport version 1.5.1.6. I am also using Smartware essential to manage backups and to transfer files to my passport. But I noticed yesterday that my drive is been filled by etilqs files. Just yesterday my PC was running to slow so I decided to clean the temp folder from my PC because in the temp folder I saw huge amount of etilqs files which should be deleted manually. If I would have not deleted it then my pc might have died till now.

Now can anyone tell me why are this etilqs files created ? They are eating up my memory space, which is annoying me. So please let me know what can be done as I can’t leave with this etilqs files. It’s becoming a pain now. Hope someone knows how to get rid of these files.

Re: Windows temp folder is filling up because of etilqs_ files builded by WDsmartware

Truly saying there is no permanent solution for your problem. WDSmartware itself creates this etilqs files. I’ll brief you what exactly are the etilqs files.

Whenever you work on your pc like editing your documents or doing anything, that work in not directly stored on the hard drive or it does not make any changes directly to the files stored on the original location. WDSmartware creates shadow copies so that there is no harm to the original files . You can get rid of this temp files by deleting them from the temp folder. It is very simple procedure.

If you are using Windows XP then open “Run” from the start menu and type “temp” and press enter the Temp folder will open and if you are using Windows 7 then simply type “temp” in the search bar from the start menu and press enter the “temp” folder will be opened. Hope you understand how to delete the etilqs files. This will free up some of the memory for you. This is easy and will help in long terms.

Re: Windows temp folder is filling up because of etilqs_ files builded by WDsmartware

I have come across this at many junctures and gone through many such articles that WDSmartware creates an etilqs files in huge quantity. But was amazed to see that no one has a permanent solution for this. I had a word with WD Essential’s service centers people and they are not interested to deal with it. One of them said that it is added as an advantage of WDSmartware so why they will try and rectify it.

I tried using several Disk Cleaners but none of them deletes the temp files. I don’t understand how come a normal user with not so much technical knowledge will understand that his disk space is eaten up by something like this program. I think the company itself should come up with some solution as soon as possible.

Samaria

I am a B.Sc.IT student and even I was facing the same issue again and again there were too many etilqs files created and going to the temp folder and deleting the etilqs files every time was a headache. As even my parents use my desktop so because of the memory usage by etilqs files sometimes the computer seemed to work very slowly. So I just searched for a permanent solution for this problem. I created a batch file to delete the etilqs files automatically on the startup itself. In this way you will be able to delete most of the files and you’ll not have to delete the files manually. To create a batch file just follow the following instructions:
    1. Open a Text file from the Start menu.
    2. Paste the following code on the text file to delete your temporary files.
      @echo off
      del /f /q %windir%\Temp\*.*
      del /f /q "%userprofile%\local settings\temp\*.*"
      del /F /Q etilqs_*
      exit
    3. Save this folder with the name and extension as shown without the double quotes “tempty.bat”.

Now you have successfully created a batch file, you have to place this file in a location which exists at System Startup. To do this open the “Control Panel” then open “Performance and Maintenance” and click on “Scheduled Tasks” and create a new task at “System Startup” referring to the “tempty.bat”
    That’s it the bat file will be created at the startup so now every time you start the system your Temp folder will be automatically cleared.