Thread: Need help in restoring HP Media Server

Need help in restoring HP Media Server

Hello friends, there is a hard drive failure on my primary drive and for that reason, I have to restore my HP MediaSmart Server . But the problem am facing is I don’t have much knowledge about this and have never done it before.

So I wanted to have some suggestion from you people. Can somebody tell me that how can I restore the HP Media Server? Thank you!!!

Re: Need help in restoring HP Media Server

See, there are two things that you can do in such cases. Either you can go for restoring HP Media Server otherwise you can select Factory Reset. It depends on what problem you are having. Anyways, after reading your post I think that Factory Reset will be better option for you because there is hard drive failure. If you go for the Server Recovery then you are going to lose all your system settings, accounts, settings for webshare and all. On the other hand, if you select Factory Reset then you will lose data on your drive and all the other settings will not going to be changed.

You will have to make use of the Server Recovery Disc as of the computer with the help of switch. In case, server is far away from the computer where you are performing the recovery then you must make it close to the PC to avoid any kind of inconvenient. Other than this, you must not use the wireless connection for this task. So here we go:

1. First of all, close the HP MediaSmart Server Control Center in that is opened.
    2. Insert Server Recovery Disc into drive which is connected with the network through Ethernet cable.
    3. When you do that then the server recovery will begin automatically and you will have to click on next.
    4. Now, you have to uninstall the HP MediaSmart Server as well as Windows Home Server Connector. To do this, open the control panel and go to Add or Remove Programs. From here, click on the HP MediaSmart Server and select remove. After this click on Windows Home Server Connector and click remove.
    5. Now, press and hold the Power button from the back of the server and after about 4 seconds, this will shutdown the server.
    6. Once the server is turned off then, press the recessed Status/Recovery button with the help of paper clip. This button is there at the front of the server.
    7. Now you will have to restart the server by pressing Power button from back.
    8. You may find that the Health indicator is flashing blue and red. If this happens then again press the Status/Recovery button with pin and this will start the Recovery mode. See if you are getting Health indicator flashing as purple and red.
    9. Now restart server and it will let you to the recovery mode dialog box. You will just have to follow simple onscreen instructions. It might happen that the progress bar is stuck at 100% and nothing happens for a long time. This happens because Server Recovery failed to recover partition data. So in this case, you will have to go back and again start the process.
    10. Once it is completed with the Server Recovery/Factory Reset then it will restart the server. Make sure that Health indicator lights solid blue before going to the next step.
    11. Now, install the software on every computer and if you don’t do that then you will not be able to make use of the server.
    12. Finally click on finish and you will get that the HP MediaSmart Server software is installed on the computer where you did Recovery/reset.

Note: Factory Reset will overwrite all the existing data on your drive without making any changes with the settings. You can make use of the “shredder” program and that will prevent your data from the unauthorized access. This will overwrite all the data from the random numbers.

Re: Need help in restoring HP Media Server

This is very nice and step by step explanation regarding recovery but I would I like to add one more note into this. If you forget to close HP MediaSmart Server Control Center then you will get the message that will ask you to restart your computer.

If in your case, it asks you for the same then you must select the option saying reboot later. You will have to restart with all the process again, if you reboot at that time only because you computer will be in the state where it cannot be configured.