Thread: WD MY Passport Essential USB 3.0 SE recognized as usb 2.0 on laptop

WD MY Passport Essential USB 3.0 SE recognized as usb 2.0 on laptop

I own a hap laptop having 3 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports and I have recently purchased WD MY Passport Essential USB 3.0 SE and the problem that I am facing with the same is that when I am connecting it to the 3 USB 2.0 port of the laptop then it is getting recognized as USB 2.0, I don’t know what is the issue all can there be some issues with the WD MY Passport Essential USB 3.0 SE or there is some settings that I have to change, any suggestions?

Re: WD MY Passport Essential USB 3.0 SE recognized as usb 2.0 on laptop

In that case I just want to know the below things:
    1. Have you tried out installing the latest firmware for the WD MY Passport Essential? If not then try out the same and see if it is getting recognized as USB 3.0 after that or not.
    2. If that does not help then install the latest firmware for the USB 3.0 host controller of your laptop and see if it is helping.
    3. If that does not help then try installing the latest BIOS version F20 and also install the WD SES Driver.
    4. Try installing latest version of WD Smartware as well.

Just try out these things and see anyone of them is helping you out, if not then let me know the response you are getting for each workaround so that I can have a better idea of the issue you are facing and will try to help you out with the same as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vascon!cell View Post
    In that case I just want to know the below things:
    1. Have you tried out installing the latest firmware for the WD MY Passport Essential? If not then try out the same and see if it is getting recognized as USB 3.0 after that or not.
    2. If that does not help then install the latest firmware for the USB 3.0 host controller of your laptop and see if it is helping.
    3. If that does not help then try installing the latest BIOS version F20 and also install the WD SES Driver.
    4. Try installing latest version of WD Smartware as well.
    After your suggestion I have tried following the workarounds and below is the responses that I have got.
    • Installing the latest firmware for the WD MY Passport Essential did not helped In getting it recognized as USB 3.0.
    • Installing the latest firmware for the USB 3.0 host controller which is Renesa’s electronics usb 3.0 host controller in my case did not helped as well.
    • Installing latest BIOS version F20 as well as WD SES Driver did not made any difference in my case.
    • Installing latest version of WD Smartware did not have any luck.

Is there anything else that I can try out to fix this issue or I should better replace the WD MY Passport Essential as I think that there is something wrong with the same, I am not sure about it but then what else might be the possible cause of this issue?? Do you have any idea about the same?? Any further help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

I have been facing the same issue with the WD MY Passport Essential USB 3.0 SE, when I am connecting the external WD MY Passport Essential to my system then it is just getting recognized as USB 2.0 and not USB 3.0.

I also wanted to add that I am running windows 7 in my system and the external WD MY Passport Essential was not even getting recognized by the USB 3.0 port of my computer but then it used to work fine when connected to the USB 2.0 port but then after I installed the latest firmware for the WD Passport drive along with the USB 3.0 host controller of my system it started getting recognized but then not as USB 3.0 but USB 2.0 but I don’t know why it is not getting recognized as USB 3.0.

I have tried out all the possible solutions that has been mentioned above but then they are just not helping, I really don’t think that there is anything wrong with the WD MY Passport Essential USB 3.0 SE but then I don’t even know the possible cause for this issue, is there any other workaround that I can try out?