Thread: BSOD when moving files from a backup drive to a Mirrored Space

BSOD when moving files from a backup drive to a Mirrored Space

Hi, I am using Windows Server 8 Beta on my server since last 6 months. It was working fine but suddenly started creating some problems. Whenever we try to move a bunch of backed up files we get a BSOD. This occurs only when i try to move it from backup drive to a Mirrored Space.

And the error i get on the bluescreen is something like
    "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (spaceport.sys)."
    I don’t have any other details about it.

Re: BSOD when moving files from a backup drive to a Mirrored Space

It is too hard to tell a solution or explanation for this problem since we don’t have much information about the Windows server 8 Beta. It is still not a full version and there is probably few bugs reside in the system. Further I didn’t even get much information from the Microsoft Technet forum. The fact is you should not get this error. This is because the Windows Server 8 made for to move the virtual machine images from one storage device to another without impacting virtual machine.

This feature is mainly intended to improve patching of virtual machines (VMs). Due to this, the Admin can efficiently move the VM to another device. I mean a admin can take down the virtual machine and patch it and if needed he/she can re-migrate the data back to the patched server.

Thanks for the reply. One thing i forgot to mention in my first post is that the Mirrored space where am trying to move the backup files is based on two 1.8TB drives. I guess if that matters for you guys for providing the proper solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaturaanan View Post
    Thanks for the reply. One thing i forgot to mention in my first post is that the Mirrored space where am trying to move the backup files is based on two 1.8TB drives. I guess if that matters for you guys for providing the proper solution.
    Are you sure that you have used the two 1.8tb drives with same type and same manufacturer?

The difference in size and type is very important and also the disk format type. The disk subsystem otherwise what we say Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller) stops responding when one disk is full and due to this the system shows BSOD when you are trying to copy or move more files into it. When you restart the computer, the Server Manager might show you as the pool is Ok (green) and both te disk are ok. But the free space is zero byte since the one disk is already full and the storage controller stopped responding.

Did you try the CheckDSK or Checksum utility in Windows server 8 Beta? Actually the Microsoft has redesigned its CheckDSK utility and now it can support the online disk diagnosis and troubleshooting. You can also get the instant Repair and Spot Verifier Service. The service works via online. It performs an online scan on your system storage devices and check for the bad clusters. If it find any, it will clean them up remotely and fix the corruption in real-time. This is the new storage enhancements with Windows Server 8. A storage virtualization technology enables just-in-time provisioning, mirroring as well as multi-tenancy. Other than this Windows server 8 supports thin provisioned storage arrays. It means system recognizes virtual disks as thinly provisioned storage stack.