Thread: Multiple Dell desktop models having same symptoms, No solution yet

Multiple Dell desktop models having same symptoms, No solution yet

We have been seeing several threads about the multiple Dell desktop models suffering from same kind of problem and most of them showing same kind of symptoms without any doubt. The strange thing is, the Dell is silent and no definitive solutions yet. Even I could not able to get the definitive answer for my Dell model. I own a Dell Studio XPS 435MT. I didn’t power on the system for few days due to painting at my house. Today I tried to power it up but the system didn’t turn on at all. In order to make the system to boot properly I have to remove and re-seat the CMOS battery everytime. This seems like a common issue with different desktop models manufactured by Dell. Some symptoms are as follows:
    • PC is roughly 1.5 years old
    • PC is shut down automatically after an extended period of time
    • Then there is no response from the system when I press the power button, it shows a quick LED blink and then a steady green light. The internal fans run for a split second

There are quite a few troubleshooting guide posted on different forums but none of them are the definitive solution. So it is confirmed that many people experiencing the same problem with roughly the same age pc. I don’t think that so far anyone could able to find a definite fix

Re: Multiple Dell desktop models having same symptoms, No solution yet

I know about this issue with dell models and the solution is also not very simple. I think that problem is with either the motherboard or the PSU. There has been news that Dell supply some desktop with faulty Power supplies but this wasn’t for all models. Only the Dell Optiplex Business models have suffered from this. You should replace either the motherboard or PSU if you are really suffering from this problem. If the system is still under the guarantee then there won’t be a problem to you but if the warranty period is already expired it will cost your much money for replacement.

I really like the detailed reply and I do appreciate it. So your post is also indicating that it the potential solution is to just replace the PSU. But it would be better if someone able to understand the internal components deeper, analyze them and find a exact cause of the problem. An ordinary user will not able to find it. Only those who have professional level knowledge regarding the computer Hardware could able to understand it. Everyone’s first recommendation is first check your system with a new or different PSU.

That is a classic failure in Dell models; unfortunately it is damage to the motherboard. I don’t think that there is any solution other than replacing. The last effort you can try is removing the fan and the processor carefully and make sure that contact points bent or deformed and also the damaged thermal paste. If so, clean the processor and fan, this is withdrawing the thermal paste as they are clean, place the processor in place, put some thermal paste on. Do not put too much or too little. And then place the fan in place. Now switch on. If it boots properly then you won’t have problem for further but if it doesn’t, then it is sure that the damage is on the motherboard. One last thing, check if you have capacitors bloated or fatter than the others are black. If so, they might be burned.

If this problem happens, it means that the memory module (RAM) is misplaced in its slot. We must therefore turn off the computer, and try reseating the memory module. If it is faulty, then if you have an old one that still functions, you can test it. Or borrow from someone. Or certainly I do not know why you would even able to test