Thread: Need help!! Dell 5100cn is not picking up envelopes from MFP tray

Need help!! Dell 5100cn is not picking up envelopes from MFP tray

I own Dell 5100cn and I have been using the envelope printing feature from a long time without any issues but then I don’t know what went wrong with the same and now it is just not picking up the up envelopes from MFP tray, I have tried out setting the same again as I was using it before and have put the envelopes in the MFP tray but then I don’t know why when I am clicking on print then the printing is starting and then stopping after some time, I have checked out the printer readout and it is asking me to put envelopes in the MFP tray, by now I have tried out all the possible way of tweeking but then I have not yet been able to get it to pick up an envelope, I am not having any issues with the other features of the printer it is just with the envelope printing feature, Is there anyone who has faced the same case and has an idea about it or any things that I need to check out or perform to get it working???

Re: Need help!! Dell 5100cn is not picking up envelopes from MFP tray

Before I suggest you something about the same I just wanted to know that have you tried out the power on and power off things?? It is the very basic thing that one should try out in such case, so if you have not yet tried it out then try it and see if it is making any difference, I think that this is some kind of settings issues, you should also check out the driver and make sure that it is set properly for the MPF so as to use the envelopes, you should also make sure that the tray guides are flush to the envelopes as well. Just make sure that you are not missing any things that I have mentioned and then let me know what you are getting, since you have mentioned that the issue has occurred suddenl I just wanted to know that do you remember any changes that you might have made in the setting recently after which the issue has started, just try to recall the same and let me know so that I can have a better idea of your scenario and will try to help you with the same.

First of all I will like to say thanks for your help, I have tried turning off the printer and then turning it on again and I have performed the same several times but then it was not making any difference in my case, as I have mentioned that I was using the envelope print function previously as well and I never had any such issues with the same before, it all happened suddenly and that is the reason why I am not able to track out the cause of the issue, I have not understood what you meant by “you should also check out the driver and make sure that it is set properly for the MPF so as to use the envelopes” I meant that if the driver I loosing setting in my case then how can I check out and set it properly for MPF, in my case the printer settings are similar to the setting on the computer, I have checked out the tray guides and I have made sure that #10 envelopes were in, is there anything I can try out further I really want to get the envelope printing feature working as soon as possible, any further help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

You can try out opening the printers driver: start > control panel > printers > and then right click on the printer and then check out the printing properties and then chose the printer preferences, when you will do this then you will see the trays on this tab, so you can chose MPF/MP feeder for the tray and as far as the size is concerned you should chose envelope, I think that with this setting you should not have any issues and it should print properly by picking up the envelope, if you want then you can first check out with a normal sheet of paper from the feeder and with the settings that I have mentioned, just check out these things and then let me know the response you are getting, if you have any further queries then feel free to ask.

I will suggest you to better check out the below two settings and make sure that you are performing the below menu paths from the printer:
    Tray settings > Paper Type > MPF > Envelope
    Tray settings > paper size > MPF > Envelope #10

If you are quite sure that they are fine then check out the driver and see which driver you are using it should be using PCL or PS, so if it is using PCL then try out the PS and if it is using PS then try out PCL, as far as I am aware these drivers will be there in the driver downloaded from support.dell.com but then when you will be adding driver then you will have to specify the correct driver to get it working through the software, if these things are not helping then just follow the below steps and make sure that you are not missing out any steps, since you have used it before you might be aware of the same but then just go through it once and don’t miss any step for the purpose of testing.
    • First just set the page layout for matching the envelope for using it in the printer by going in the application and then check out the File > Print, when you get the Print dialog window then make sure that you are using the correct printer from the drop-list and then click on the Properties button.
    • Now when you get the PCL properties window opened then click on the Paper Tray tab and then select MPF from the Paper Source drop-list and then click on the MPF Settings button which will be below the drop-list.
    • When you get the MPF settings window opened then just select Envelope from the Paper Type drop-list and then click on OK and then in the PCL Properties Window click on ok and also in the Print dialog window click on ok.
    • If in your case the Printer was loaded already then you should not have any issues in the printing process, if at all the envelope was not loaded then you will get a prompt so as to select the envelope size and when you will insert the envelope then the display should indicate MPF > Envelope xx, now you can wait for 10-15 secs for the printer to accept the change or just hit enter and then you should not have any issues.
    • Hope that helps.

This thread has really helped me out now, in my case my 5100cn was not printing envelopes when I was using and when I was clicking on the print button then it was stopping the printing after some time as the above questioner has already mentioned and I was getting a "Invalid" message, I had tried updating the template but then after that it was asking me to Load MPF even though it was loaded, I had tried out the tray setting but then it was not making any difference but then later while looking after a solution for the same in other forums I came across this and tried out making the switch from PCL driver to simple PS but then the print server in my case which is running on Windows 7 was not having the PS driver so later I just installed a local printer which was using PS driver rather than the network's PCL driver and I altered the page from the "Autoselect" to "MPF" Page Setup and then things were working fine, so if in your case rolling back to the PCL driver is not helping then you can try out the PS driver.