Thread: Cannot use LaCie rugged hard disk with Dell Latitude E5420

Cannot use LaCie rugged hard disk with Dell Latitude E5420

I am using Dell Latitude E5420 with windows 7 operating system and it has Intel Core i5 processor, 2Gb RAM, Mobile Intel HM65 Express Chipset, Intel HD Graphics 3000 and 320 GB hard drive/ when I connect my LaCie rugged hard disk with my Dell Latitude E5420 laptop at that time it says I have to format the hard drive. I have checked my LaCie rugged hard disk with my desktop in which I have windows XP operating system and I am not getting any problem with it. When I don’t have any important data on my LaCie rugged hard disk and that is why when I connected LaCie rugged hard disk with my Dell Latitude E5420 laptop at that time it get error saying formatting is not possible. What should I so to solve this problem. Thank you in advance,

Re: Cannot use LaCie rugged hard disk with Dell Latitude E5420

Connect your LaCie rugged hard disk with your laptop and then you have to go to the devices and then check whether your LaCie rugged hard disk is listed correctly or not? You have to also open disk management in your laptop and then see whether drive letter is assigned or not? if it is not then you should assign drive letter manually and then your problem might get solved. First of all you have to click on the start menu and then right click on computer, now you have to select manage option. if you are not logged in as administrator then it may ask for the permission and you need to enter administrator password and click on OK button. After that you have to select disk management option from the left pane of the window and then you have to check driver letter is assign or not? o am telling you this because I was also experiencing similar issue and then I have tried this solution and then my problem get solved. If you need any more help then let me know.

In your question you have mentioned that when you connect your LaCie rugged hard disk with any other computer at that time you don’t get any problem and that is why I will suggest you to try these steps to fix this problem. First you have to connect your LaCie rugged hard disk with your desktop and then take the backup of all the data. After doing that you have to open my computer and then right click on hard drive icon and then select format. Once you format your LaCie rugged hard disk, you have to disconnect it from your computer and after disconnecting that you have to connect it with your laptop and then you have to see whether you get same problem or not? May be with the help of this steps your problem will get solved.

First I have opened disk management in my Dell Latitude E5420 laptop and then looked for LaCie rugged hard disk and drive letter was assigned there. I have connected my LaCie rugged hard disk with my desktop and then tried to format it and after formatting it when I tried to connect it with my laptop and I didn’t get any issues that time. One thing I would like to know is many times when I connect my LaCie rugged hard disk with my laptop at that time I didn’t get any problem but after some hours I lost connection with it and then I have to disconnect my LaCie rugged hard disk from my laptop and then connect it again. Is there any way to solve this problem then let me know?

This problem normally takes place when USB power option is enabled, in order to solve this problem you have to disable USB power option and then you have to check whether problem get solved or not? to disable USB power option you have to open start menu then right click on computer. After that you have to select properties option and then expand Universal serial bus controllers. Now you have to right click on the USB root hub and then select properties. In properties window you have to go to the power management tab and then uncheck USB power hub option and then you have to click on OK. After that you have to connect your LaCie rugged hard disk with your Dell Latitude E5420 laptop again and then check whether your problem gets solved or not?

If you are facing same problem with your LaCie rugged hard disk even after trying above steps then you should open start menu and type power option in search box and then press enter. In power option window you have to expand USB settings and the click on plus sign next to USB selective suspend setting. Now you have to click on “ON battery” option and select maximum performance and also select maximum performance for plugged in option. now after doing that you have to click on OK button.