Thread: "Scan to Computer is currently unavailable" error with Hp Photosmart 5510

"Scan to Computer is currently unavailable" error with Hp Photosmart 5510

This error message has completely irritated me all the way. I remember the first time when I installed this printer it was through a USB cable and that never created any sort of issue, I was very much able to do all the basic primary things like scanning to the computer with the Printer Control Panel. All the setting were made successfully with respect to the wireless and ePrint, after that I converted the printer from USB to wireless as I already said that the printer was connected through USB cable, I did this with the help of the printer setup and software.

Now coming to main issue, I have noticed an icon on my computer system, the icon is present in listed one amongst the task bar icons and it says that “Scan to Computer is currently unavailable”. But the thing is that whenever I tried to open the HP Photosmart 5510 series network and then when I click on Manage Scan to computer i get a message which states a complete opposite of the error message which I mentioned above. This message says that "Scan to Computer is enabled", now if its enable then why I am getting that error message. This is not the only error message that I get, in fact whenever I try to scan from the printer touch screen I end up getting another error message on my computer system saying that the HP Photosmart 5510 series isn’t found, also the printer screen tells me to check out the connection between the computer system and the printer. According to the printer screen there is something wrong with the connection of both machine. The only way for me to get a successful scanning from the printer to the computer is to remove and then reconnect the USB cable but again the problem is that it takes it as two printers are working together, one through the USB and other through a network. all in all everything is completely messed up and I am very much confused where exactly the issue is lying. I don’t think anyone must be facing so many problems all together in a single Photosmart 5510 printer. Surely there is nothing wrong with my computer system, I am running windows XP pro into my machine which however supports the printer in all aspects. Please help me out and let me know a appropriate solution for getting rid of this issue.

Re: "Scan to Computer is currently unavailable" error with Hp Photosmart 5510

Didn’t get your problem completely but even then for such error making issue the best thing you could do is perform a power drain on your product. Along with this you also need to check certain things that can prove to be affecting your device. First of all try to remove the connection of your printer from the outlet keeping the printer powered on and then again plug in the device. Now make sure that you have the option Scan to computer active and also alongside remember to check whether your firewall is nowhere a reason for this problem. Firewall sometimes tends to be one of the reasons for the issue. Anyways also remember to add on the following files into your firewall, they are as follows HPNetworkCommunicator.exe, DeviceSetup.exe, FaxSetupWizard.exe, HPScan.exe, ScanToFolderWizard.exe, ScanToPCActivationApp.exe, Toolbox.exe. hope this will help you out in some of the other way. Just try it out and let me know whether my solution made any difference into both your computer system and printer.

No! That won’t help solving the issue at all. Once upon a time even I use to get the same error message. And as suggested by you, I have already tried this solution long before. With this solution if you try to select the printer keeping it with wireless connection then you might get a proper successful printing. In my case I use to notice one thing, on the printer front panel I use always get an error message of No computer found, even if I use to connect my computer to the printer I get the same message again and again. The later on I found that the software of HP was somewhat corrupted.

In my case my computer is not actually not connected to the wireless connection, its indirectly connected with the help of a wireless router, I have a cable that is connected to the wireless router. Whenever I am able to print after the conversation of the USB printer to the wireless printer I use to believe that the process is being occurred through the router. I use to believe that the configure Dell 620i used to be one of the reason for the printer not being able to see the computer when connected through the USB cable. The reason I am telling you all this and sharing my experience is to make you understand the possibilities of issue being related to the connection problem.

On the software whenever I did Manage Scan to computer get the same lost connection error without any reason. Anyways after doing the complete software un-installation and then download it all again from the HP official site and then re-install it from there itself.

I personally believe that the network topology shouldn’t have any issue. There is nothing wrong with the USB to wireless conversion of your connection. Always remember that the USB to wireless does nothing but just guarantees you that your printer is safely connected to your router and then also an IP address is assigned through the DHCP. Once you are confirmed that you are able to print to your printer from your windows computer system by connecting wirelessly then surely you much know that your printer is no doubt on your wireless network.
    Anyways forget about the issue and try out the following things. First try to scan diagnostic utility also if possible uninstall the printer, then download the current latest driver from the Product control Panel and the install it properly. You might successfully be able to scan and print through your printer. Just try it out and let me know the result of either of the solution.