Thread: Setup for Iomega HMNHD

Setup for Iomega HMNHD

Hello friends, I have recently purchased the Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive, Cloud Edition for me and was trying to setup with my system. But I am getting fail when trying to setting it with system. So does anyone know how to setup, what are the methods required to do? I was searching on internet but did not get anything, really stuck with it at present, really not knowing what to do or what not to do? Please help me out with this problem. Thank you.

Re: Setup for Iomega HMNHD

One important thing which I would like to tell that you used the Iomega NAS Discovery utility which actually helps out with the configuration of NAS, if you are trying to use this tool then on specific operating system, such that it is compatible with Windows 98, Me, NT 4.0, 2000 and XP, that also it should be connected to the network or directly connected to Iomega NAS. If you are having Internet Explorer 5 or higher than that, then also it can work to configure the NAS. I would tell that how does it work and what are things you need to do it. For Iomega NAS Discovery, just start your computer and then inset the solution CD which you have got it along NAS. When you have inserted the CD then it open up the registration application, so you better register your Iomega NAS system with the instruction provided over there. When all it is done then you will be getting Solutions CD menu, in which you better select Iomega NAS Discovery Utility and double click to start. If it is not happening then you can go to My Computer, try to start from there, such that double on CD drive in which solution CD is there. Once the Iomega NAS Discovery Utility is started then it will be checking out system, such that which are the Iomega NAS servers connected to it. Once it has discovered then it will be listing all of them, if it is not able to list then better check out Troubleshooting.

One thing I would like to tell that Iomega NAS will be having its own IP address which is received from DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server. Once you got the list of Iomega NAS servers then better click on any one (if you have more than one) then click on Manage button which is there on left top side. So if you are having the DHCP server then it will obtaining that IP address and starts NAS management utility. If you are not having the DHCP server then will be getting an UNKNOWN status in the status column, so you click on Manage button enter the IP address and subnet mask of your network. If you do not know the IP address and subnet mask then click on Suggest button, which will be detecting the IP address and subnet mask, but you need to enter username and password, the default username and password is Administrator and ADMIN, then click on OK button. You are done with configuration.

When I was doing the setup for my HMNHD-CE then it was really tough and not working proper for first time. You do get the quick start guide which tells the process of setup is very much easy. But I would like to say that when you are doing the setup then it hangs the setup process when helping out to configure remote access enable security but it actually it setup the features of cloud. If you just check out each of its function then it is not at tough, but there is no proper guide due to which it is making very much tough to do setup. If there is any guide for this setup then it will be very much easier for us to do the setup. There was a guide for personal cloud's storage which is required to have client software installed on to it, then that has not helped a lot and was very much confusing what to do. When you have inserted the CD then it automatically starts with Iomega Installer and that period of time you are left with one choice which is User Manual that is Automatic installation. I do not know that how many have seen it, the installation program was not having a sign of the publisher, due to which anti-virus was giving me a pop-up that I am trying to install a unsigned software on to my system. Even windows security alerts that this software has not verified its publisher and it does not allow installing the drivers. But as usual I continue to setup the software, complete the installation. When it was completed then you will be getting message that Installation is completed, but then also the Iomega Storage Manager will not start automatically. Then you need to start it manually.

If you are trying to find out shared storage then there is no need to do the setup of it. Security on HMNHD-CE is being disabled by default, so everyone needs to access all the share folders, which is same of below image. Your device will listed as HMNHD-XXXXXX, such that you will be having a different set of name for your device. If you wanted to change the name then you can do when login from administrator account.

I would like to tell to that how you can make some more advanced changes to your Iomega NAS which is being available or located in the NAS help system. If wish to have the access to help system, then need to insert the solution CD into your cd drive. If it is require to do the registration then better do it as per instruction. Once that is done then you select the NAS Discovery Utility icon which is being seen on Solutions CD menu, just click on it to start. Now you will be getting list of NAS servers, among those just select Iomega NAS which you would like to do the configuration. Once you have select then you click on Mange button, which is there on left top side of window. Now login to Iomega NAS and click on Help button to get the instruction about configuration of your Iomega NAS. If you wish to connect with Terminal Services, then let me tell you that Microsoft Terminal Services is giving the permission to configure the NAS. If using the web-based administration tool, then it does not have full rights to do the settings of NAS.

There are three methods to do make it work with Terminal Services, such that first one is to use web-based administration tool, just go to maintenance and then select Terminal Services in it. If you are using the web-based administration tool then you need to have an Internet Explorer and ActiveX. Second method is with help of Remote Desktop Connection application, if you are using windows XP then it is already built-in, just need to go start then to all programs, then to Accessories and in that you will be able to locate Remote Desktop Connections, which is shown in below image. If you are not having Remote Desktop Connections application then you can download from here.