Thread: "internal fan is not functioning" message with IX2-200

"internal fan is not functioning" message with IX2-200

I had iomega ix2 non-clouded edition with me which I recently upgraded to the latest clouded edition. And the issue that I have mentioned in the title appeared even before i upgraded this non clouded edition ix2. The only reason I upgraded to clouded editions is that there were no more firmware updates available for supporting the non clouded edition.

But along I also believed that this issue would somehow be fixed with the upgrade but I was wrong, the problem was still the same without a minor change. I still get the same error message saying “Internal fan is not functioning”. Another thing I have noticed that on the NAS there’s a red light indicator, that light never flashed or blinked until I had this problem. From the time this problem occurred this red light always blinks; maybe I think its try to convey me that there is something wrong with the NAS. Is there anyone who is encountering the same issue and if possible also let me know a proper solution for the same. I am really fed up with this error message, somehow wanted to get rid of it.

Re: "internal fan is not functioning" message with IX2-200

You get an error message that’s fine but have you every checked out your fan physically? Does it works properly or you are just simply getting that error message for no reason. It would be much better to get the exact scenario of your problem once you clear yourself both physically and theoretically with regards to the fan. I can help you out with the fan’s physical architecture. Almost all the fan comes up with some 3 connected wires and amongst them only 2 are used for powering up the fan whose rotation speed is very well controlled by the current or with the help of the plus width modulation whereas the 3rd wire helps us to get someone pulse for each rotation, not sure with it that is being used by the controller. The controller uses it to measure the fan speed. There must be the tacho wire existing with a bad connection which lands to the obvious reason for such warning of fan not functioning or must be your fan is really not functioning at all.

Re: "internal fan is not functioning" message with IX2-200

I too have the same issue and until now neither I have been able to fix this issue not does I have seen anyone coming up with a proper solution for the same. i bought this ix2 last one and half years ago, it worked well from the time I bought it without any issue. But recently few days ago I noticed that I started overheating. After encountering this problem the first thing came into my mind was the fan status as obliviously overheating of any device is mostly caused due to less cooling provided to the unit. Therefore I checked out the hardware status of the fan and as expected I was right, the hardware status indicated that the fan was not rotating or working. Also I checked out the temperature and it showed 120F later on I saw that the temp raised to above 150F within no time. There was no intention of taking any risk so therefore I simply turned it off. I disintegrated the unit and opened it into two part. Now the case is that I am trying to replace the fan by myself.

As I already told that repairing the fan was almost difficult for me and also there were no such forums left where I didn’t search for this thread except for one to two of which both were incomplete without providing any solution. But I must say even replacing this unit was not so easy, finding the same model was like a night mare for me. If you don’t mind getting a new fan then definitely you can let me know. In my case there was no one to guide me with the replacement therefore I faced so much of problem but now everything is fine. My model is EC5015L12EA-B, 50 x 50x 15mm, Low speed 12V , it has FG signal with a Blower style Frame type. Again I am telling you do not waste your time in repairing the unit you can easily get it replaced as I already know the place and way to replace it.