Thread: Dell Inspiron 620/Vostro 260 does not have settings for AHCI in BIOS

Dell Inspiron 620/Vostro 260 does not have settings for AHCI in BIOS

It seems to me that both computers Dell Insprion 620/Vostro 260 does not have any kind of settings for AHCI mode in BIOS. I have looked all over for it and there does not seem to be anything related to AHCI. Furthermore there is no way I can update the BIOS without INTEL Management Drivers. The device manager is also showing that ATA drivers not using AHCI drivers. Also it does not show INTEL RST drivers installed. I tried the Bios version A04 but this made no difference.

Re: Dell Inspiron 620/Vostro 260 does not have settings for AHCI in BIOS

The mine has now also confirmed by the DELL support. My downside is that I have run out of certain constraints of Windows XP on HDD. In order to change the installation on HDDs to AHCI mode is recommended Dell to reinstall the hard disk in AHCI setting in BIOS. In Windows XP you have to with the F6 option to AHCI drivers from a floppy drive download or even a WinXP installation CD tinker together. The difficulty is only to find the right AHCI driver. For this there are at DELL or on the included driver CD, the Intel Rapid Storage driver packages. So if you have "update driver" with the correct driver installed, you will only need to boot the computer and switch before booting the computer in BIOS to AHCI mode. I have deleted the 2-port controllers in the Device Manager and last updated on 4-port controller to AHCI 6-port controller. If you once but got the wrong driver, the boot process ends in a blue screen reboot. Here again just change the BIOS to ATA and Windows "Start with the Last Known Good Configuration" option go up again. Then the old drivers are reinstalled. That gave me during my many attempts a few times makes life easier.

• Exit all programs.
    • Open the registry editor and looks for this registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ msahci
    • In the right pane, in the Name column, right-click Start > Modify.
    • In the Value data box, type 0, and click OK.

That's the only thing you need to do. Then you have to adjust to the BIOS. However, you can change back to IDE unless your hard drive is connected to one of these ports.
    • Onboard SATA to AHCI mode 3 (was on IDE)
    • On-chip SATA Port 4/5 type to As SATA Type (was on IDE)

If you enable AHCI you can switch an extra controller. Which occurs after the POST checks the connected drives. You see so after the BIOS screen.

With Windows Vista and Windows 7 you can just switch between AHCI and IDE in my opinion.

I've managed to fix the problem. I found I needed a disk of XP with SP3 and SATA drivers integrated. This avoided problems of incompatibility with AHCI and no longer jump the blue screen when installing XP or later or loading XP hard drive. It was important that it had the Service Pack 3!.

After the installation of XP, what I did was boot from the DVD to repair Windows 7 and restarted. And this is done, and since Windows 7 installed the EasyBCD to enable the dual boot option.

Now everything works perfectly!

To solve the first problem you must enter the BIOS setup and change the SATA controller in AHCI. Unfortunately, if you change the controller from the BIOS after Windows is installed (as was my case), the computer fails to boot because the OS does not have AHCI controller drivers (which are usually loaded during the OS installation). It is therefore necessary to prepare your computer with Windows 7 BEFORE you change the BIOS settings. The steps are as follows:
    • Install AHCI in Windows 7 specific drivers for your SATA controller, to find the appropriate drivers you can check with CPU-Z which motherboard you are using and what chipset is installed.
    • After this edit the registry as described in the 2 post of this thread.
    • Once these two changes, you must restart the computer, enter BIOS and change the BIOS settings so that the controller uses the HD SATA AHCI mode. Please note that the buttons to press during boot to access BIOS settings and menu settings to change, vary depending on the motherboard in use . Then look in the manual of your motherboard (or Google) to use those in your case. Finally, we need to know that the stages of activation energy saving advanced Intel (Intel C State) will affect the performance of the controller. For the SSD is advisable to use up to a maximum value of C3 as the advanced stages subsequent (C4 C6 ... etc.) may decrease the performance up to 25%.

AHCI mode is very difficult to activate after you install Windows ... is simpler enable AHCI before installing Windows for the first time. The AHCI driver of P35 is 'compatible only with Windows Vista' by default (so say the manuals for the motherboard), although it can run with XP. AHCI is only a bridge of communication based on hardware to software, this means that you get support enabling AHCI for hotplug (100%) and NCQ