Thread: Dell XPS 8300 running same as XPS 8100

Dell XPS 8300 running same as XPS 8100

Few days ago I have purchased a brand new Dell XPS 8100 and it was running file still yesterday but today I have seen an error message saying that it had a bad HDD. I don’t care because after contacting Dell, they sent me a new HDD and a technician to replace it. The system boots but it was running slow. All programs and opening very slow and sometime not responding, freezing etc. So I again called the Dell, they told me that it about the video card and I replaced it as well. Still the same. Finally the Dell agreed to replace my entire computer and send me a brand new new XPS 8300. I thought it was great because I was going to get a brand new refurbish XPS 8300. But it was also the same thing, slow, not responding and freezing in the middle. I don’t get it why all of them are same. The system specs are as follows:
    • Intel i7-2600 CPU 3.40 GHz
    • Memory 8 GB
    • Seagate 1TB hard drive
    • Window7 been installed 3 times.
    • AMD Radeon HD 6450

Re: Dell XPS 8300 running same as XPS 8100

It looks like your system starts up fine. So it indicates that you don’t have booting problem nor hardware related problem so far. So I think that the issue lies somewhere in the Operating system or Software which you are trying to run or already installed one your PC. The best thing you can do right now is to check the system status like CPU usage, memory usage, processes and applications running by the use of task manager just to make sure how much your CPU cycles and RAM are being used. If you find it above the limit or excessive, then you might need to control the process or program which is eating the system resources. Sometime it could be malware or a bug in the BIOS.

I also have the same computer (but with 8 GB and Radeon 6870 and Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit) and in everyday use, it seems to me quite quickly. But if I'm running various benchmarks, it hang with the results after shockingly far behind similar. Even with benchmarks, which only affect the CPU this way?

The question is always what you do with it? My system is also indicated by points a little lower. The benchmark is to ensure that no unnecessary stuff running. The robbed thing is just the performance. Latest video drivers would be recommended. The pre-installed Windows version of Dell's might have too many tools in it. Live updates, live backups and maybe a virus scanner, thwarting the bad. I do my own backups, so I do not need that stuff from Dell. As you may have some cleaning up I think. The swap file should be adapted, because Windows has somehow managed never clever. As mentioned by others, Dell has custom BIOS. That's what I find so very stupid not seen since before a lot of messing around, and is adjusted, it is better not much can be adjusted to the crate and running longer. There are simply people who play it and they complain how badly the manufacturer. Never change running system should be the motto for many twist and turn around to play while going up anymore. Basically you will have I7 2600 which has enough power for the "normal use". For more speed you need a faster hard drive or real time to install the system. Then you have a comparison. With the hardware installed Windows 7 is so fast.

I suggest you uninstall some programs pre-installed and monitor programs that open at startup, which are not useful.

A friend of mind once had a similar kind of problem. With him, the Ultra DMA mode the hard drive was not activated (but set to PIO). I would sometimes download the latest HDD controller drivers, and possibly look in the BIOS, and sometimes on the Device Manager.

Get the "Process Explorer" and look there to see if a process claimed much CPU power when the system is idle. That can be easily solved.

I had a similar problem with my graphics card (Sapphire HD 5770), since Sapphire had a firmware related bug in it which has not increased because of the graphics card as the load increases the clock. The result was underground performance. If your graphics card is known to have a similar problem, then possibly you need to flash a newer firmware on the graphics card.