Thread: Dell Optiplex GX620 shipping with faulty power supplies

Dell Optiplex GX620 shipping with faulty power supplies

Our organization recently purchased nearly 900 Dell OptiPlex GX620's last year. During the really usage, we have experienced that massive number systems getting failed due to the faulty power supply came with those computers. All of them were running Pentium D processor, and a 305 watt PSU. I brought this issue to Dell representative and they told me that none of their systems yet reported as high failures. So far we had nearly 100 systems get failed. I assume that the number may increase in few weeks. There are also other brand PCs which are working fine from the past few years. Can anyone explain me why these PSUs getting failed? Is it the manufacturer’s defect or something else?

Re: Dell Optiplex GX620 shipping with faulty power supplies

I didn’t read anywhere about anyone else having this kind of problem or failure rate with that model and at least for me also. I assume that your computers are still under warranty and you are a most depended customer of dell. In that case Dell knows what to do with those computers, no matter what numbers is that. They will replace those PSUs if they really get failed due to manufactures error or defect. If the failure is due to something else like your power connection, voltage and shocks, you could not get any kind of support or replacement from Dell.

Check to make sure the correct voltage (110V / 220V) is selected in the power supply. While this should never occur with a team that has only been sitting on the desk, if you have replaced the power supply or moved to the PC, is always a possibility. This small red sliding switch is in the power supply, generally between the cord and replacement on / off switch on the back of the box. Disconnect and select the appropriate voltage for your country. If you tried to turn the switch set to 220V in an 110V country, the system must accept as correct the tension. If proven to run on 110V in a country of 220 v, there is probably a fuse in the supply (at least) or damaged supply and possibly other components.

It seems like the Dell is ignoring the Failure rate with their product. They are acting like they don’t have anything to with this even if it is under warranty. They have already gained a big market all over the world and they don’t care about such failure rate. They only care about implementing new technology in their product and put it on sale before other manufacturers do. For that reason now we are seriously considering moving away from Dell because so far we have experienced 25% failure rate in 3 years and Dell is not interested in doing anything. Everything it takes several hours to talk on phone and go through same checklist, diagnostics to get them to send out a replacement. Unfortunately dealing Dell can be a big problem since it is one of the major manufacturers. Purchases made at small organizations get better support than larger organization. I hope that somehow you may get satisfactory solution to power supply issues.

It looks like the Dell is shipping cheap and low quality power supply with some Desktop PCs. For a retail purchase they won’t do this. This issue can be mainly seen in massive purchases made by large colleges, universities, companies and other sectors. It is their marketing technique to get benefit from those areas by providing faulty peripherals among huge number of orders. When companies order for 500 PCs from Dell, they will ship at least 300 PC with Good quality and 200 packages with very low quality. This is a big fraud from Dell. I don’t see any other manufacture doing like this way.