Thread: Dell OptiPlex GX620 is not turning on

Dell OptiPlex GX620 is not turning on

I have been using the Dell optiplex gx620 desktop and today it just not turned on. When I press the power switch, the lights turned on but then it beeps. Even I did not see anything on the monitor. For that reason I get a new processor assuming that it could be faulty and try to fix it myself. But I don’t know how to fix this issue. Does anyone know why this PC is not turning on? What troubleshooting steps should I try?

Re: Dell OptiPlex GX620 is not turning on

It seems like the PC is having problem with CMOS battery. You can see this battery on the motherboard. If it is bricked or became faulty then the PC does not turn on. I hope that you are familiar with the system components and its configuration. If so it would be better turn off the computer and take out the CMOS and put it back so that it can get reset. Otherwise you need to replace jumpers in order to reset the battery in case if you cannot take out the CMOS. Now try to power on. If still the same, take out the all additional components like DVD drive, PCIe cards etc from motherboard and boot the system only with RAM and CPU. It will get you know what is causing the system to beep at start up and not turn on. If still the same issue, replace the RAM to another slot and double check the CPU seated properly or not.

It really looks like the motherboard is broken. Your computer might be showing you the signs of receiving power, but still does not work. We can find that the source is activated, the fans, optical drives open and the hard disk shows signs of activity (hear it spinning), but despite this the computer will not start. In that case we will try to find out what the problem. It must be said that these checks have often require replacement material, so we will indicate the time that it is better to use the computer to an SAT, because obviously it cannot do is invest in a number of elements without know if they are in good condition or not. Well, let's see the steps to follow:
    • First unplug the computer and monitor and download the static electricity that might have accumulated. You only have to tap us to play a metal.
    • First open the computer and found what works (fans, diodes ...).
    • The next thing is to make a visual check of the board for items that are noticeable to the naked eye damaged.
    • The elements most likely to fail are the capacitors. A clear sign of failure is that they look to be swollen or fluid leakage and staining on the outside.

If you are hearing one or two short beeps when you press the power button or at the booting process, the first thing you should check is whether or not the monitor works. To do this:
    • First check to see if the connector is well placed graphics. Once this is verified, make sure the monitor works. This can either connect the monitor on another computer or to connect another monitor to the computer.
    • If that does not emit beep we see what the computer. To do this we open and check if both the power supply and the auxiliary fans work. Also check if both optical drives and hard disk activity are symptoms (LED lit, rotating engines ...). Although this is not a sign that your computer is working yes it is that the source is sending power.

Bad capacitors almost certainly have found the root of the problem. Little remains in that case to make, and the solution left is to change the motherboard. Sometimes damaged capacitors can be replaced with new ones, but on the one hand this does not always work and the other capacitors should be exactly like those spoiled. When it comes to replacing a motherboard capacitor tolerance is practically nil. Well, if we find nothing abnormal, continue with the checks for the item that is causing us the computer will not boot. Most often the fault is in the graph or in the memories. To check this, we removed both and re-try on the computer. Computers emit a series of beeps when it detects a series of failures, and that is why these beeps by which we must be guided. We then see a list of the major beeps and their meanings, depending on the BIOS to mount your computer.

I did what you advised me to visit the manufacturer's website to see the code of the LEDs and it actually points to a memory failure. The point is that memories are compatible with the motherboard, are well placed and the newly cleaned, the slot is perfectly clean ... but still fails. In fact the number of "beeps" at start increased. Now they are 6. I took the reference for the description of the number of beeps alerts, but no one that fits my situation (1-3-2). There are no expansion slots, it is of such equipment "saves space" with the external power source or I cannot test a video card in it. I've tried hard drive on another PC and it works perfectly well and then connected to a different hard disk but still nothing.

At this point, since this is a computer failure, not the monitor, and we know that the main causes of this happening are:
    • Memory failure.
    • Bug in the graphics.
    • Failure of the board.

Although there are more cases, these support the 90% of cases and are in part the user can check for yourself. As for failures of the monitor, but check the connections and if it works or not (connecting to another computer) can do little or nothing to the user. In such cases we must resort to a SAT, if the official brand of monitor better. At this point, if the monitor is under warranty no problems (most manufacturers give a warranty of three years for monitors), but no longer under warranty, we strongly recommend you ask prior estimate, as it is more that may be more interesting to us the option of buying a new monitor (which have dropped so much its price) or find one time that make the repair.

it is quite possible that the fault was in the society of the contacts or the graphics card or the memory, so that the cleaning and re-set your computer to work properly. It could also be a processor failure, but this, though not entirely ruled out, yes that is quite rare, especially with current processors, since they carry enough protection systems to prevent burning. There is a possibility that the plate is making contact with the chassis of the box and not start for that reason, but it is often considered (although rarely) in newly assembled computers (i.e., that have not worked ever). To see if it comes to this, the option is to remove the motherboard and test it out of the box. Well, these are the checks that the user can do. Almost all are based on replacing parts and test, so if you do not have these, it is reasonable to take the SAT team, it is not a matter of buying a plot or reports without knowing exactly what you are wrong. And even less in the case of a motherboard or processor. If still you are not able to get resolved the problem or contact Dell to obtaining information about or to see User's Guide online.