Thread: Dell Studio XPS 7100 BIOS is reading only half ram

Dell Studio XPS 7100 BIOS is reading only half ram

I own Dell Studio XPS 7100 and it is having 4 memory sticks where each stick is of 2gb which at total contributes 8gm and then problem that I am running in to is that tow of the rams are just working fine but then I don’t know why but the rest two are read as 1gb each, I am running windows 7 in the system and the current BIOS version A06, I had made a installation of a clean OEM version of windows 7 but then I don’t know what is the issue all about, is there anyone else who has aced the same and has an idea about solving this issue?? Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Re: Dell Studio XPS 7100 BIOS is reading only half ram

As far as I know the Dell Studio XPS 7100 should read the ram altogether without any issues, I think that you might be having incompatible ram in the system can you list the make and model of the ram that you have installed in the system so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing and will try to help you with the same as well, if you are not aware of the same then I will suggest you to try out the elimination process to find out which ram is not working properly, you should try using single memory at a time and making sure that it is read properly then you can add the second one and if everything is fine then add the 3rd one and so and see if you are able to find out the one that is causing the issue, you can try out changing the slots of the ram to see if they ate making any difference, just check these things out and then let me know the response that you might get, I think that you are having a incompatible ram as I have already mentioned but then to be sure about the same you will have to try out the test that I have suggested, Best of luck.

You can very well try out the above process but then if it is not helping you out the better updater the bios of the system and even that does not help then you can try out clearing the BIOS and for that you will have to follow the below solution:
    • First Power off and unplug the system and after that Press/hold power button for ~15 sec and then just open the case and then take out the battery from the motherboard.
    • Now after removing the battery again Press/hold power button for ~30 sec and then install the battery again and then Close the case and start the system.

Just try out this and see if the bios is reading all the ram properly or not, if not then you might be having one fault ram and I also wanted to add that you have made the title saying that the bios is reading half of the ram which is not, from the situation you have mentioned it is reading 6 gb from 8 gb so even I doubt that you are having one ram to be faulty.

Hey guys thanks for your help, I had tried out the updating the bios and clearing the bios but then they were not making any difference and the system was still reading 6 gb which I have by mistakenly mentioned as half, anyways later when I tried out the solution that has been mentioned in the first reply where I had to test out the system using single ram at a time I found that when I was installing the 3 rd ram then it was not getting read may be it has turned faulty, I don’t think that there was any incompatibility issue as all the ram were similar I mean that they were manufactured by Hyundai Electronics, anyways I have remove the faulty ram and now the system is reading 6 gb fro 6 gb without any issues, I will be getting the replacement for the faulty ram as it was very new.