Thread: Dell Studio XPS 8100 cpu temp is going high

Dell Studio XPS 8100 cpu temp is going high

I have been using Dell Studio XPS 8100 and everything was working fine by now but then I don’t know what has went wrong with the same and now I have found that the when I am playing intensive game the cpu temp is going over 90C, which is making me feel that the cpu can gets damaged, I was not having this issue even when I was playing the same games, on the first boot the idle temps are around 40C but then I don’t know why it is going that high when I am playing games, I have also faced crash sometimes, I just wanted to know if there is any workaround that I can try out or I should get a new heatsink or more fans??

Re: Dell Studio XPS 8100 cpu temp is going high

Since you have mentioned that you are playing intensive games I think that the cpu will react in the same way but then if you were not having any such issues when you used to play the game before then I think that it is time for you to install more fans to your cpu so to keep control the processor temperature, if you want then you can try out opening the case of the cpu and then run the system in the same way and see if it is making any difference, if it is helping then you can probably start playing games keeping the case open for that while, you should also check out the processor and see if the thermal paste for it has been dried out and so, if the paste has been dried out then you can get thermal paste form the market and then refer to a tutorial for applying the same, there are a no of tutorial on the youtube that will help you out in carrying out that task. Juts check out these things and the let me know the response you are getting, I doubt it to be the thermal paste but then if its not then you will probably have to add more fans to the cpu or upgrade the heatsink. Hope that helps.

Yes you can very well get a non-Dell cooling fan but then I will like to inform you that the Dell uses proprietary fans and if you will get a non-Dell cooling fan then there are chances that you will be facing "fan failure", since you have already mentioned that you are playing intensive games there are fair possibilities of getting the CPU overheated because of the same but then as it has been already mentioned above you can check out the environment around the PC Tower and check out to see if it is getting adequate cool air flow around the tower, you can consider the other optioning as well which is adding more fans to the case, if you are more in to gaming then you will need a typical gaming PC case which generally has lot of case fans, I also wanted to share that I have recently bought a Antec Ninehundred "gaming" case as I was having heating issues with the motherboard, I am not suggesting you the same as you are having a dell system and since the Antec Ninehundred "gaming" case is having bottom mount power supply it wont be reaching the tock Dell power supply leads, anyways you can try out applying the thermal paste but then if that does not make any difference in your case then go for adding more case fans I think that it will be a better idea.

I really don’t think that your system should run that hot, it would have been acceptable if you were running Prime95 but then you are having a different case, I will suggest you to better contact dell support and address them the same and see what they have to say about this, if you will try out modifying your system then you will be voiding the warranty but then if you are not having any issue with the same then you can right away try out the solutions that has been mentioned above so that you don’t damage the cpu running the game like that, in my case I was having similar issue but then I have not bought a Zalman 9700 heatsink and fan and since then the temperature are well controlled and I am not having and overheating issues anymore so if you want then you can check out the Zalman 9700 heatsink and see if you are satisfied getting it as it is a non dell heatsink. Hope that helps.

If you want to replace the current cpu fan in your case then you should get the “Scythe SCRT-1000 120mm Sleeve New High-End Top-Flow CPU Cooler” it is said to be one of the best fan for studio xps 8100, its specification and features are as followed:
    Specification:
    • Fan Dimensions- 120 x 120 x 25 mm
    • Heatsink Dimensions- 130 x 141 x 130 mm
    • Weight- 730 g

Features:
    • V.T.M.S. (Versatile Tool-Free Multiplatform System)
    • Twist Intersected pipe Structure
    • Trident Multi Layer Fin Structure
    • Slip Stream120 PWM Adjustable

You can get it easily from the newegg but then you will have to check out for the availability of the same, you also get a 2 years limited warranty with the same.

I think that “COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 compatible GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler” will be a better choice as compared to “Scythe SCRT-1000 120mm Sleeve New High-End Top-Flow CPU Cooler” it is really a complete system cooler, it comes with a pure copper base, 5 heatpipes along with high density aluminum fin for optimal heat dissipation, the system gets a huge airflow with 120mm fan having sickle blade, it has a flexible fan bracket design and it also supports two 92mm/80mm fans which can help you out for customization, it uses ultra-quiet fans for silent operations and gives you a stable performance even when you overclock the cpu, it has a Superior Heat Dissipation, Unique Fan Bracket and it is also Core i7 Compatible. Just check it out and I am quite sure that you will find it better.