Thread: Seagate Firmware repair breaks again and gives Error 1008

Seagate Firmware repair breaks again and gives Error 1008

I am using a Seagate hard disk drive and the problem that I am having with the same is that when I am trying to clone the drive then I am not able to get data from 0 to 94 000 000, I have tried doing a hardware reset but then the issue is coming back again, previously I had tried to fix it out with pc3k and I had got drive ID an LBA back but then the same is not working this time, is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out in fixing this?? I am not very sure if I am missing anything but then as I have mentioned I was having the same issue previously as well and I was able to fix it out with pc3k easily without any much issues.

Re: Seagate Firmware repair breaks again and gives Error 1008

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-Doy View Post
    I am using a Seagate hard disk drive and the problem that I am having with the same is that when I am trying to clone the drive then I am not able to get data from 0 to 94 000 000, I have tried doing a hardware reset but then the issue is coming back again, previously I had tried to fix it out with pc3k and I had got drive ID an LBA back but then the same is not working this time, is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out in fixing this?? I am not very sure if I am missing anything but then as I have mentioned I was having the same issue previously as well and I was able to fix it out with pc3k easily without any much issues.
    I am not very sure but then from what you have mentioned above it appears as if the drive is having dead heads, anyways can you just check out the error in log and post it here so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing and will try to help you out with the same as well, You have mentioned that you are able to get data until sector 94 000 000 but then you are not able to copy any sector right? Correct me if I am wrong. So if I am right then I just want you to build head maps and check out which heads you can read it ? . If you have not tried out the same then try it out and then let me know what you get. If you get any further error then make a note of the same for further help.

I have tried out building a head map but then I am just getting errors, even I think that there is something wrong with the head, I mean that it might have stuck to the platter and so, I have checked out the error in log and this is what I am getting:
    F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Error 1008 DETSEC 0000500E Process Defect List Error
    R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 00000001

F3 T>V4

Unable to load Diag Overlay

F3 T>

i was able to fix out the id but then not the capacity
    on capacity m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Do you have any idea about the same, is there anything else that I should check out or any workaround that I can try out to fix this issue??

In that case I just wanted to share some facts, you have mentioned that you were able to get the drive working previously but then now it has stopped working and giving you the unable to load overlays, if it is so then it means that the drive was not having any issues in reading overlays before but then it is not able to read it out now. As far as I can guess this is a general reading issue which is basically a heads problem but then as you have mentioned that you were able to read some sectors, which is making me think that there is no general reading problem, thus I don’t think that there is some issue with the heads, I still doubt your case, so can you just try out a repair again and check if it is reading those few sectors again or not, if not then you drive is probably having a dead head.

Even I have been running in to similar issue with Seagate hard disk drive but then your case appears to be different compared to mine, I mean that you were able to go further where as in my case the drive stopped around 92,000,000. I have been looking after a solution for the same I other forums as well but then I have not yet got any luck in this case, some people have mentioned that the issue occurs after applying solution for "HDD Lock "LED:0000CC". I don’t think that it is a head problem at least in my case, actually I am sure about the same because I have tried swapping the new head stack but then I am still getting the same result, I have encountered this issue for the third time in a week, I have addressed the same issue to some other experts as well and they told me that it is a translator problem and it will be solved in future release, so I am trusting the same until If anyone comes up with an effective workaround for the same.

I will like to inform you all that the there is nothing wrong with the reading method but then it is just that the specific LBA is not being accessed, just to explain the same in a bit detail I wanted to share that the hard drive needs to translate between CHS which is further used by the hard drive for addressing to LBA, since you both are getting error here it is just that the hard disk drive is not able to remember the appropriate CHS location for each LBA, I mean it is not able to make out where a requested sector is residing physically, I have found people using some Professional tools for the same but then I don’t think that it will be useful without the knowledge of Seagate Terminal commands as well as the exact cause of this issue, if you need further help then in terminal make V4 and post here so that I can have a better idea of what is going on.

I am having the same issue, in my case I am having a failed 7200.11 disk it is getting detected with 0 LBA size but then it is not responding properly, I have tried using command in the terminal and it is not having any issue in taking the command with` terminal but then I have found that the command N1 is not returning a message saying "Unable to load Diag Overlay" but then it is just getting failed at m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 later and I am getting the below error message in the log:
    Error 1008 DETSEC 0000500E Process Defect List Error
    R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 00000001

I have inspected the disk thoroughly as well and it is not making any weird noise and so but then I don’t know why is it staying busy as compared to normal when returning to idle state, I just wanted to know is there any possibility of bad sector which is preventing the command to get successful? I have found some people using V1 then V4 before m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 but then I am not very sure if it will actually help, what do you think about the same??