Thread: Partition 2 TB Version of Iomega HMNHD-CE

Partition 2 TB Version of Iomega HMNHD-CE

With sweet and simple query I would like to place my question over here, is there any way out to partition my 2 TB version of Iomega HMNHD-CE. I am really in need of doing so but somehow I doubt that this thing would not be possible at all. Actually I have Linux based Satellite Receive and I need a 200 GB ext3 partition for it. My friend says that for my Satellite Receiver it’s not at all possible to handle a 2TB HDD. Can anyone help me out and let me know that fact whether it is possible at all. Also let me know which file format is used by NAS for the partition.

Re: Partition 2 TB Version of Iomega HMNHD-CE

For your last question I would like to say that NAS uses xfs for it's data partition. I really liked your idea, as far as I know the receiver can very well save the films on NAS and for that thing ext3 is definitely a recommended criteria and also certain small partition is recommended. I don’t think you can change that. The NAS function also exists in FritzBox so therefore there must be no issue with the receiver and NAS; even I have got an 300 GB ext3 exernal hard drive on the FritzBox and got stuck at the same place where you are currently lying. Many people doubt in creating a 200 GB ext3 Partition on the Hard Drive.

Before doing the actual thing you need to know certain important points; first of all you should be known that you can easily re-partition the disk but that only possible theoretically, practically even I have not tried until yet. During the partition the partition table goes through some strange things due to the firmware so therefore if asked me I would never decide to mess up with my device that is working properly.

After looking into the above post regarding the Fritzbox I can say that your receiver is surely connected to the disk by the network but if that is the case then remember that the Filesystem that is being used never matters at all, it’s the Fileserver that serves the files and not the Filesystem. The main thing is that even if the client tries a lot he always fails to know the filesystem that the server is using, I am not sure by I feel that the size matters a lot in this case or it could be the free space. There are chances that the receiver is asking for the server about the free space and therefore the server goes crazy all the way only if it exceeds. Just wanted to know what exactly you mean to say, do you mean to say that the receiver cant store movies on the HMNHD-CE but can easily store them on the Fritzbox?

Yeah you are somewhat correct; it can store the movies on Fritzbox but only in Timeshift mode. what so ever the case maybe I just know that Fritzbox works simply great. When it come to Timeshift mode with Iomega then everything is reversed, Iomega completely doesn’t work properly when I try to write a new File of 1.5 GB or a above. The problem is that whenever you try to write a new File you end up getting no playback resulting in the receiver getting frozen.

Talking about the record mode, I must say the file is written smoothly and normally with NAS, it can easily write that 1.5 GB file. Record mode is much better than that Timeshift mode; Timeshift is quite slower than the Record mode. With the Timesift mode the receiver is probably not able to even test the speed. I think FritzBox NAS cannot be tested and also it isn’t so fast, the satellite receiver is only 100 mbit whereas the Fritzbox 100 MBit.

From Fritz NAS to the system the speed is some 4 MB ext2 and the fat is bit slower by 3 to 8 MB, and the speed from the NAS to the computer system 100 Mbit is something 8 mb where as the speed form NAS to computer 1Gbit is around 20 to 30 mb per second. All of my hardware are connected on the Gbit switch and the Fritzbox is a router that brings up the internet and the phone.

I know, the FritzBox is very much slow. I never recorded the readings but for some reasons I can’t even think of an additional function existing on the router that can perform to its least with a NAS. What so ever the case is the HMNHD-CE should however be able to get together the entire 100Mbit of connection with the receiver without creating any issue along way parallel in both the direction? I mean that the timeshifting must be doing 5MB simultaneously up and down when the recording takes exact 5mb/sec and when it is 5Mbyte then somewhere it seems to be a half duplex connection due to which collisions are bound to occur. Just let me know whether your current connection is NAS – 1Gbit switch – Fritzbox – Receiver. If its so then you can better try out connecting the NAS to the Fritzbox or also you can connect it to the receiver to the Gbit switch.

Not blaming all the way but I think the problem could also be with the switch. Its like if I have to do a conversation of iGbit to 100Mbit but I am completely unaware about what it would end up giving me, could be a performance penalty. If not the above thing then you can also try connecting the NAS to LAN port of the Fritzbox simply try to force it to 100Mbit?