Thread: Suggestions for Seagate BlackArmor NAS 220

Suggestions for Seagate BlackArmor NAS 220

Hello friends, just wanted to have some suggestion about Seagate BlackArmor NAS 220, I was planning to go for it and also it will be really nice if you people are able to tell how this this device handles streaming movies and music to xbox units and is there possibility to do without having problem when made it to act as a media server? If you people are having any advice or support about it then please do tell me and also is there anyone who is using then please do tell me about your experience. Thank you.

Re: Suggestions for Seagate BlackArmor NAS 220

I have purchased a NAS. The NAS 220 and Seagate 2x3TB. The installation and configuration is very easy. The first boot takes a bit slower because the software searches rather long to the NAS in the network. Once found, everything turns off. Create a Share is done in one second and can immediately be provided with a drive letter. With heavy use of the noise from the NAS is very loud. You'd think that something is wrong. But just use it like a normal external HDD. The volumes are set in 123 and you can choose between RAID0, RAID1 or JBOD. I put it in RAID1 protection because of my files is one of the main reasons were that I've purchased. And then we get to the speed. This is terrible. When the network is gone varies the speed of read and write around 10MB / s. This was a file of 11GB. The bigger, slower. So I tried 133GB, which went to 3.4 MB / s. I tested with a D-Link DIR-615 (wired network) and a D-Link DIR-652 (gigabit network). However, this makes no difference. With the DIR-615 is the self-bit rapper than with the DIR-652. The NAS directly to PC link is better. The writing is also low but leessnelheid is high. Against the 50MB / s. So much like an external HDD to USB2.0. But what are you as a NAS directly to your computer hangs. Disappointing that the manufacturer's specifications indicate that speeds of 70MB / s can be achieved in RAID1.

The Seagate BlackArmor NAS 220 is a network storage solution designed specifically for small businesses, designed to provide centralized storage and data backup offering. This allows you greater continuity within your company reach up to 20 PCs. Automatically backup your critical data with RAID 1 mirroring and complete backup of your systems protected by a powerful hardware-based encryption. It is designed to provide a centralized storage and data backup to provide up to 20 PCs. Provides automatic data mirroring with RAID 1 configuration. Protect PCs that are connected by networks with incremental and full-automatic system backups, Functions as an FTP server to access your files remotely, Stream media to DLNA-equipped devices and computers with iTunes software, Includes two reliable, easily removable Seagate hard drives. Connect external drives, share a printer or use the uninterruptible power supply with two USB 2.0 ports. Protect files with powerful hardware-based encryption. For use with Microsoft Active Directory, Multi-volume management, Appointment email notification.

The first impression of this NAS was very good. By looks good and the specifications mentioned I liked also very fast formatting services so that bite. The box was neatly closed and makes everything looked from care. Supplies with this NAS came along: Power Cable (for compatibility with design piece in several countries), Driver CD, Very thin manual and a network cable 1m. The NAS is equipped with 2 USB 2.0 ports 1 Gigabit Ethernet port, a power / reset button and of course the power supply. Installation all went fairly smoothly, internet manager is vast and there are many options. Directly, by default, RAID 0 RAID 1 is replaced by where I wanted to make use of. After installation, I think: I let the iTunes server directly but try. Direct copying an album. And yes it worked perfectly and quickly. So I throw all my music, 75 gigabytes on it. And now it begins, here came the first problem. Itunes totally ignored the NAS. I think I let the NAS but a reset but that did not. When the options just once off and on again but no it did not unfortunately. The software for this device is all very well made. Uitgebried backup programs and features. It looks all neat and tidy and also works very fine. The backup schedule works perfectly with nothing to complain about. The noise of this product is sublime I hear him totally! Not even when I sit down 10cm from the hard to hear. And yes the fan is running though.

The performance of this device is really dramatic to call. The transfer rate over LAN does not exceed 4mb / s while at the same router are connected! On WLAN and Powerline is even worse. These usually come to a peak of 3.25mb / s and will average about 2mb / s. What I really do not can live with 75 gigabytes of music, a lot of movies etc. Also, many features of the NAS are not, or not good. To name but here to mention two. Bonjour service or iTunes server. Does not total size if a stock music. iTunes opens the server then no more. Hundreds complain about on the forum. FTP Service. The ftp service is very blurry. Firstly, it is an art to first ftp address. After this, finally, to have found it but immediately tried. This service was very slow in both writing and in reading. When it tried to open it at school (via enable anonymous) here has had an account and password. Login codes web manager none of them worked. So that is also not a success.