• Before installing a print driver or rather any driver, remember to quit all other running programs or applications.
• Also, keep the installation instruction guide handy and if there arises any confusion in the steps, follow the instructions mentioned there and not here. Since these instructions are quite generic and those will be more specific to your system.
• To start with the process, you need to go on the start button and click over it to see a number of options to chose from
• Among all the options mentioned here, you should be interested in the ‘Settings’ button, click on it
• Here, you will be headed to a number of iconned tabs, among this you need to select the control panel tab
• Here too, you will be accessible to a number of things to chose from, but we are interested in ‘Printers and Faxes’. Select it
• In Printers and Faxes, you will find a button which says ‘Add Printer’. You may select that
• Selection of this button should be leading you to another window called the ‘Add printer Wizard’
• If everything mentioned on this wizard looks fine to you and you don’t mind going ahead, click Next
• Here, you will find a radio button near ‘Local Printer’ click on it to select it
• Check and confirm that the checkbox next to ‘Automatically detect and install’ is unchecked
• Again, confirming all selections to be right, pass on the news to the wizard by clicking on Next
• After this you will be headed to a window where you need to select a Printer Port
o In case your port is attached to the computer, you can click on the ‘Use the following port’ from where you have the privilege to select the port which you are aware where your printer is exactly attached to
o If your aim is just to keep Powerpoint happy, you should be choosing LPT1: or FILE:. This is of no concern because, this is a dummy set up and you are not in any plans to use the port to print anything
o If what you want to do is, to install a local driver but to use it to print in a network printer, then you should be searching for the printer’s port on the network and select that. This is if it is available. There might possibly be chances of it not being available in such a case, you can simply chose LPT1: for now and change the settings later
• To go ahead with the installation process of the driver, click Next and move to the next window
• This window is nothing but the window where you will actually be installing your software in the computer
o If at all you are installing a real printer, you can select the manufacturer and the model of the printer out here
o If at all, you have the installation disk or CD that comes when you buy the printer and is included in the package itself, click on the ‘Have Disk’ option, post which you need to locate the information file(INF file) that comes with the printer. If you are looking out for any specific information or don’t know how to locate it, refer the Printer’s documentation
• When you are done with the installation selection page, you can go ahead for which you need to click on ‘Next’
• The next window takes you to a screen which gives you an option of selecting a name for the printer
• Here, you will be presented with a textbox where you need to enter your name of the printer. Remember whenever you need to use any of these printers or drivers in future, it will be referred by this name only! Keep your memory strong.
• After which, you should be clicking ‘Yes’ when asked ‘Do you want to use this printer as the default printer’
• To go ahead with finishing the installation process, you need to click Next button which you’ll find below
• This window is the ‘Print Sharing’ wizard, where you need to edit the sharing settings of your printer with other systems.
• It is not advisable to share the printer, for that click on the ‘Do not share this printer’ radio button
• Click next and navigate yourself to the ‘Print Test Page’ where you will be testing the printout
• If you wish to go ahead with the test, select Yes else select No and click on next to go ahead.
• After this, you will be headed to the final page which is the ‘Completing the Add Printer Wizard’ page
• Here, you should be checking all the settings that you mentioned throughout the installation process
• In case you need to edit any of the choices, you can click back and edit them, this is not advisable, but!
• To complete the installation process and after confirming all settings press finish to mark its end