Thread: BIOS not recognizing NEC ND-2500A DVD Writer

BIOS not recognizing NEC ND-2500A DVD Writer

I have a NEC ND-2500A DVD Writer. With whom I've burned or boot CD to my computer. Since last time it was working properly but 2 days before I had used this DVD writer in one of my friend’s machine for some use, I connected my drive with that machine. There, the bios recognized my drive, and I after doing a small work I again attached it to my machine. But now my BIOS are not recognizing the drive. The jumpers on the drive are properly plugged in (to master for 2 IDE port where else to it is not) and cables are not loose. Connected the drive had also been to a computer or other, nothing. Can one do something else? And not only that much my system is also not booting.

Re: BIOS not recognizing NEC ND-2500A DVD Writer

Hey bro actually I am also having almost a similar problem as you have but my bios is not recognizing by CD Rom. At startup the BIOS does not recognize or disable the CD-ROM and CD-RW, which are connected to secondary IDE channel. Sometimes if recognized but often not. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the ribbon cable connectors makes connection with the CD and the motherboard, as well as power connectors to the CD, NO RESULTS. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver mshdc.inf, also without results. Finally, I disconnected the CD-RW set as master, leaving the CD-ROM connected slave and surprise! The CD-ROM was recognized. Then I disconnected the CD-ROM slave, leaving the CD-RW connected and is also recognized. In conclusion when connecting one or the other but not both, were recognized individually. I would be grateful if you could help me solve this problem.

In this case there could be conflicts with the two units to the same cable, note that the jumpers from each unit to be in different Drive try, i.e. going to the IDE cable end must be master and which is in the middle IDE cable must be slave, it is best to connect to the primary IDE on the end your hard drive and the CD-Rom reader in the middle, and secondary IDE on the end as master recorder, considering that this has not two hard disks or her free a connector on the primary IDE.

Thank you very much for your reply, but a doubt arises, the primary IDE has a 80-pin ribbon cable (this cable is connected to the hard drive as master), while the secondary IDE ribbon cable is 40 wires (the units that are connected CD-Rom). My question is along the lines of whether there is any inconsistency in the amount of connector pins on either ribbon cable. (I.e. when trying to connect the CD-Rom to primary slave IDE connector is 80). I would be very grateful with your answer. Thanks in advance.

Perhaps, it is more advisable than 80 because it is faster, but I had also two different IDE cables only my CD-Rom was connected as a slave to my recorder as primary and the secondary master, and so work properly.

The BIOS does not detect the hard drive ATA / SATA. The failure to detect an internal hard drive by the system BIOS can be determined by five problems:
    • Defective data cable
    • Unit not powered (not running)
    • Incorrect setting jumpers on the drive
    • Hard disk capacity is not supported by BIOS
    • Hard disk drive fails

The following procedures may be useful to identify or resolve the problem.
    Defective data cable
    If the data cable is damaged the BIOS cannot detect the hard drive. The best way to verify that the cable is the culprit; you just have to replace it with another cable. If the problem is still there, that means the cable was not damaged. For ATA drives, Seagate is advisable to use a UDMA cable maximum length of 45 cm. UDMA cables have color coded connections that must be oriented correctly when connecting. The blue connector is always dedicated to connecting with the motherboard. The central gray connector is used for the slave devices on the cable. The black connector is used for the connection of devices Master. If the data cables are bent, squeezed, crushed, or corrugated, there may be breakage of the wires inside the insulation, which is not visible externally. In case of doubt about the condition of a data cable, replace it.

Unit not powered (not running)
    If the unit is not powered or receive an inadequate level of power (12 V), does not start. To determine whether this problem is causing the failure to detect the hard drive from the BIOS, follow these steps:
    You need to remove the data cable which is connected to the hard disk so that the power sloppy is stopped. If you hear turn the hard drive, you must find out if the unit is powered. In some cases you must remove the unit from the case and physically hold in your hand. Because of the significant vibration and noise produced by fans of the system, it is very difficult to hear the disc spinning when it is mounted. If you remove the device, it is important to use a ground strap. Holding it, plug the power cord and turn on the system. If the unit does not turn, go Warranty and refunds.

Hard disk capacity is not supported by BIOS
    To solve these problems, follow these steps:

Restart the system and enter the BIOS to manually set the unit parameters. To enter the BIOS usually have to press F1, F2 or DEL right after powering on the system. The correct key to use is indicated in a message appears at this early stage startup. Change the BIOS settings for the drive through Auto-Detect to None, or Off. Save the settings, exit the setup program and turn off the system. Save the BIOS settings and exit. Reconnect the power and ATA cables, power up the system and boot the SeaTools for DOS CD or floppy MaxBlast. When the system will start loading the SeaTools program, press "C" and then "Set Drive Size" (Set size units). If you do not aware of highest capacity drive your system BIOS can handle it, then you need to press S to set up to 32GB, which is a common limit on older systems. But if you are aware of highest capacity then you can press M which will help you to set limit manually. And if you have altered the capacity of the drive and SeaTools for DOS you need to accepts it, completely turn off your system to delete any information stored in the cache. If you simply riavate without turning off your computer completely, the changes in size of units may be lost. Once back on the PC, enter the system BIOS and reset the parameters of the unit to Auto-Detect. Save the settings, exit the setup program, restart your operating system say the installation and run the normal installation procedure.