Thread: OCZ Synapse recovers only for few hours

OCZ Synapse recovers only for few hours

I did not know that after installing OCZ synapse I will have to face lots of consequences. Recently when I left my system for a while and went to carry out some other work and then when I came back noticed some "improper shutdown detected" message on the screen. Now the strange thing is that I have never seen that message ever before I installed Synapse. How come after I installed this drive I am showed with such message? Initially I thought that there might be some loose connection between synapse and the system but then even after checking out the connection properly the issue remained the same. The most interesting fact is that this Synapse recovers after every interval of few hours. It goes off then comes back only for few hours. There is no problem with the software and the firmware as I know that everything is running with their version. If I keep my system on for whole night later on after some 4 to 5 hours I get the same message for no reason and after few hours its back, that makes it a 7.5h recovery. I should not hide the fact that my system runs much faster when the drive is connected to it. Please help me out; I don’t want to perform any kind of reformatting activity as it already did it once. Also if possible just let me know whether I can use this drive as a regular SSD in future.

Re: OCZ Synapse recovers only for few hours

I shall surely support your statement; I do agree that this technology and the software are completely immature. Even I am very much frustrated with this thing but I am completely shocked to see that you get a 7.5h recovery, this thing is too horrible and totally not acceptable. I am also facing the same exact issue, you know in my case after I installed Synapse it took almost hours for the verification. Therefore I am very much worried about the future. I am sure after 1 or 2 weeks of caching it will take more than 12 hours. This is not a simple and light issue however I need to check out the Dataplex and if possible I will try to change the software. Anyways if Dataplex detects any improper shutdown the only thing that was already been suggested to me was to first boot from only HDD as the Dataplex only mirrors data to SSD. Then I was told to do verification in parallel with the normal windows operation. Anyways you can surely use your SSD as a normal drive but I think you can only use 30 GB and not all 64GB of the drive.

Before the Dataplex does any recovery process we need an option to disable it. At least it would create a scenario which would be much similar to a normal system without the cache instead of error potential. After that you can now SE the SSD and start up again which would be faster than going through the recovery process. My friend too had this problem, I must say that in his system the drive was really very much nice and satisfying as the performance was considered but alongside the downtime was completely unacceptable. In his case his machine use to get crash due to the drive whenever he use to keep the system idle. Initially we thought that the issue was caused due to the hard drive turning itself off while using the balance power scheme but then we noticed that we already have turned to high performance and didn’t allow anything to turn them off in any condition. Still were unable to get why exactly this cache solution would compromise the file system integrity.

My synapse was just 2 days old and it crashed within those 2 days with having an hour long recovery. Later on after few more days the problem progressed, the drive then however started failing to show up in the BIOS, tried all the possible things including trying out different cable and ports. But then due to shortage of time I was unable to try out other suggestion and therefore I discard the cache drive. But that proved to be bad idea because discarding the cache actually caused a huge damage to the file system which then lead to BSODs before even I was suppose to log in. and after that everything went wrong I was not even able to uninstall the Dataplex which was the worst problem in this huge issue. Don’t know what made to take the back up of all the data before I installed Synapse and just because of this reason I saved myself from any kind of data loss. Anyways currently I am looking out for a multi-recoveries and another thing is that I am looking out for a regular restore for images.

I am not sure but I guess most of the crashes take place when the SSDs are attached to Intel’s SATA controller. I used a synapse drive in order to make it function it as a caching drive in an intel SRT setup which in turns give me multiple BSOD in single week. But then I switched back to intel 311 and fortunately everything was fine with no BSODs. And I am very much happy that I didn’t use dataplex software, this is the only good thing I guess I did till now. I must admit one thing there are still certain serious installation issues. Recently bought another OCZ synapse for my friend’s new system and I didn’t commit any of the mistakes which I did previously in my case. This time I connected the drive to the external storage controller and an ASMedia sata controller. Without touching and messing up with the Microsoft drivers I reinstalled windows after an unrecoverable error while using the ASMedia drivers. I am sure the OCZ technical people and he developers might have the solution but then why not they are helping out their customers. At least they could provide the customers with the possibility of read only cache which is similar to ReadyBoost once if they do that the lacking hardware reliability won’t be an issue and then the customers will at least select the performance reliability tradeoff which would be surely best for them.

Hey my I checked out my board, it also has a Marvell controller but it wasn’t working that great, I mean the boot timing was too slow so therefore I switched to the intel controller after few days. I know there might be people who won’t agree with really feel that the Marvell controller some problem with P6X58D-E. I do agree with your statements but there is a problem with certain things, the changes that you wanted to see in the software are surely going to require more than one month. Initially I was very much surprised to know about the time period requirement for the changes but then after I consulted my friend he clarified everything, he told me that the instability of the product that I am supposed to see in future. Its so important that the drive itself is reliable and therefore Dataplex would not require to run its recovery. But whatever I personally feel that the slow recovery procedure itself is enough to show off the biggest disadvantage. Just let me know will you be waiting for more an few minutes if the windows in not being able to shut down properly or if there is a power outage or something similar to that. It would be very much annoying for sure. However I do not have any kind of experience with the recovery procedure of Dataplex, I was thinking that the latest version would somehow reduce the time that is required for the recovery procedure.

Most of the people do go with reformatting things; I have noticed that with this problem always most of the people do suggest the solution for reformatting as we do for the installation of Synapse also. You know this Dataplex software makes a Symbolic Links on HDD after moving all the data on SSD. And obviously if SSD crashes then surely the files on HDD might go corrupt just because they behave as a shortcut. What I personally think is that this software has now become senseless with no use as if you see you can make the same thing on any of the SSD or even a ramdrive that can probably load image at boot with a link shell extension or some other software. I have noticed that the only thing that is done by it is just automating the process. Until now the only solution came across me was to use Hard Links but the thing is that they only works on same partition so its better if they come up with some new software if and only if they wanted the keep the users data and files safe and sound. At the current moment for this issue you can log the write access to the HDD.

I have seen the same message in my system too. Just after I installed windows I encountered BSOD but I also got the option to deactivate Dataplex by just pressing D, as I was not having lot of cached files I noticed that the verification was quick and fast. I remember the verification took hours and hours to get completed. I am not at all blaming Synapse, its really good and with respect the performance as everyone says its great. If we deactivate the Dataplex from BIOS then what about steps to reactive it, how can we do that? Its better we go for auto deactivating dataplex for each and everytime there was an improper shutdown and auto activate back in OS, trust me it sounds much fair and problem free. No doubt Synapse has always stood at its place with no problem but its only the Dataplex software that did everything and created a huge mess.