Thread: OCZ SSD having speed of SATA 1 chipsets in SATA 2 chipset

OCZ SSD having speed of SATA 1 chipsets in SATA 2 chipset

I have an OCZ SSD in my computer for storing data, I have installed Red Hat Linux 5 on that SSD as the operating system. The SSD which I have is of SATA 2 connection. I attached it in my computer and now I am trying to transfer data in it. While transferring the data I noticed that speed at which it was being transferred is very low for an SATA 2 SSD. It is giving transfer speed of almost SATA 1 level. I am really annoyed by it. Is it because of my operating system or is there any problem with my SSD? Can someone help me clear this problem?

Re: OCZ SSD having speed of SATA 1 chipsets in SATA 2 chipset

There is no problem with your operating system as well as with your SSD; you will need to do certain tweaking with the settings of your SSD to get its full performance. For this tweaking you will need to download a Linux Live Tools for OCZ SSDs. This will be officially available on their website and you can download it for free. These tools can also be used to update firmware of your SSD. Remember that when you use this Linux Live Tools for OCZ SSDs, it will erase all the data that is stored in the SSD. I recommend you that you set the ACHI mode for SATA 2 controllers for better performance. The update process of a firmware requires ACHI mode in the system to be present. The updating process will first search for ACHI settings, if not found, it will automatically abort the updating process. Linux Live Tools for OCZ SSDs which you have to use for updating the firmware and solve the problems that you have will be downloaded in a compressed form. On extracting it, you will find an ISO file which is bootable. You can burn it on a CD or in a USB pen drive. This ISO file does not work in USB v3.0 so you will have to use USB v2.0 only. Once done with it, you will need to boot your computer in CD or in USB pen drive. At this point, a large amount of text related to the updating process will appear on the screen. After the text goes away, a new desktop will be seen on your screen. This desktop will have a ‘Wbar’ at the bottom of the screen. This will have few icons on it and in many systems the name of these icons will appear with name to long and complicated. There you will find an icon with name, firmware_update. The updating process of the firmware is automatic. A small window will appear on the screen which will show you about the files being installed on your system. If you are using more than one hard drives or mass storage devices in your computer, then the firmware will try updating all of it. If it detects that any of them is incompatible then it will show an error message regarding that hard drive. You are bound to get at least one error message as the USB pen drive that you are using will not be compatible with the firmware that you are updating. You can continue the process even if you get the error message.

The problem that you have described in your question is an common one. It is usually noticed in Nvidia chipset motherboards. When th4e OCZ SSDs of SATA II is used in these motherboards, the low speed of the SSD is noticed. Using Linux Live Tools for OCZ SSDs will help you to fix the problem using ‘SATA Link Speed fix’. This function is available in the program that is executed when use the icon with green arrows icon on it. You can try fixing it and if you are not satisfied by the performance it gives, then you can always revert back the changes you have made. There is a function to restore the defaults of the firmware that you have made updates to. I am using Mac and the SSD is attached in it. When updating the firmware of SSD in Mac, the process is so easy and reliable as the Mac is completely ACHI based system. Other machines use the IDE system which is almost incompatible with the SSD firmware.

I have noticed similar problems in SSDs which are caused due to improper alignment of partitioned drives in the SSD. You can also try aligning the partitioned drives in your SSD using Linux Live Tools for OCZ SSDs. I recommend you that you should not have SATA cables from other drives during this alignment of drives in SSD. If you have data drives or RAID arrays in your SSD then you will need to be more careful while aligning a partition as you might create a extra partition which won’t have any use and might hamper the sectors and format of the partition from which you have created you wrong partition from. On the desktop of the launched Linux Live Tools for OCZ SSDs, right click to find menu of some other applications available. There will be an application by name ‘gparted’ in Applications section which you need to use. On starting that application and window which shows all the details of the storage space allocated and available will be shown. Using it, you can format the drives and reset all the space available to become one single unallocated storage space. Now click on the unallocated storage space and create a partition table for it. This option will be found in ‘Device’ tab on the top menu. This will create a partition table in MS-DOS which will have been used when aligning the drives. Now click on the new drive option and it will give option to set parameters for the new partition. You can set the ‘Free space preceding’ and ‘Align’ options that you can use according to your need for aligning partitioned drives. You can even set the type of storage you want it to be, that is, FAT32 or NTFS and many other options are available. You can click on Apply which will start partitioning the drives and aligning them according to the set parameters. This will solve your problem of low transfer speed.

I use an Asus M2N32 motherboard in my PC and I found that Linux Live Tools for OCZ SSDs does not work on it. Instead I used Linux ISO for solving the issue of low speed of OCZ SSD. It consists of MACOCZ patch which corrects the errors that are present in working of the SSD automatically. Also it is observed that Sandforce controller and Nvidia chipsets do not work along with each other properly, some tweaking or editing of its parameters is always needed. I think that Nvidia hasn’t developed their systems enough to make them compatible to SandForce systems. I have found that EVO motherboards work best with the OCZ SSD and let the user get full functionality that is specified in the manual.