• cpu- amd phenom ii x6 1090t black edition 3.2ghz
    • cpu cooler- coolermaster v6gt
    • gpu-sapphire radeon hd 6970 2gb gddr5
    • ram- Four corsair dominator 4gb ddr3-1600
    • display-Three asus vw266h 25.5 lcd 1920x1200 2ms
    • ssd-Two ocz vertex 2 extended 180gb 2.5in sata2
    • hdd- Three seagate barracuda xt 7200 2tb sata 6.0gb/s
    • Psu= corsair ax850 |

I am having 2 OCZ Vertex 2 Extended 180GB 2.5IN SATA2 in my system and I was trying to do a fresh installation of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit but then after the initial installation of the windows I found a pci device in error in the Computer Management, so I just ignored the same and then things were working fine but then now I am willing to create a backup image with True Image 2011 but then when I checked out the so as to test out the alignments then it gave me a pciide - BAD error. I don’t have much idea about the same but then I think that it is related to the pci error in Computer Management which I had ignored previously.

Re: Got pciide - BAD error for OCZ Vertex 2 with AS SSD Benchmark

I just wanted to know that is your system having latest bios, Motherboard updates, latest ati driver along with the required Windows Updates, if not then get them first and see if it is making any difference in your case or not, if they does not help then try updating the firmware of the drive as well, I also wanted to add that before installing the windows set the SB850 controller to AHCI mode by going in to the motherboard's BIOS if at all that does not help then you will have to try out modifying the registry so as to get the Windows to boot, anyways first check out for the other things that I have mentioned and then post the response that you get.

I have installed the latest bios, Motherboard updates, latest ati driver but then that does not seems to be making any difference, I have tried updating the firmware to latest as well but then even it did not helped, I just wanted to know that did you really meant than for solving out the pci issue in Computer Management as well as reported by the AS SSD Benchmark I will have to change the bios settings? I have checked out the bios and below is what I am having:
    Under the Storage Configuration Ports 1-4 are being listed as IDE and there is an option to change the same to AHCI but then Ports 5-6 are just having the IDE option, port 1 and port 2 are the ports where I have connected the drives.

I have not made any changes so far and what did you meant by “you will have to try out modifying the registry so as to get the Windows to boot” I don’t have much idea about the same, so can you explain me the same in detail??

As far as modifying the registry is concerned first make sure that you are have enabled the AHCI driver in the registry before changing the SATA mode of the boot drive and when you are sure about the same then follow the below steps:
    • First close all the Windows-based programs and after that click on start and then on run and then type “regedit” without the quotes and then hit enter
    • When you get a User Account Control dialog box then just click on Continue and then check out for one of the below registry subkeys:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
    • When you find it then click on the same and then in the right pane just right-click Start in the Name column and then proceed clicking on the Modify.
    • When you are done until here then type 0 in the Value data box and then click on ok and then On the File menu just click on exit and you are done.

If you want then you can try out using Microsoft Fix it 50470 as well, just try it out and then let me know if it helps you out.

Hey thanks for the same but then I am having some questions regarding the same:
    1. I am aware of the Microsoft Fix it 50470 but then I just wanted to know that will I have to apply the "fix" before changing the bios, I mean that it is appearing as if the system will not start I will be trying to do that later
    2. If I change the bios then it will be affecting all the 4 ports, where 2 are being used by SATA6 HDD's where as other 2 are used by SSD, so will this be causing any further issues to the SATA6 HDD's?
    3. Last thing I wanted to know is that if at all this results in damaging the installation of Windows 7 then is there any chance of creating an image back after the AHCI?

Any further help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

I will like to answer you in the same way:
    • Yes you will have to change the bios before applying the fix as it is the purpose of the fix, I mean to boot the system after being switched to AHCI mode.
    • The change in the bios won’t be affecting the other drives and it will be just affecting the boot drive only, so you don’t have to worry about your two SATA6 HDD's.
    • First of all it won’t this process won’t be damaging the installation of Windows 7 but then if you still have any doubt regarding it then I will suggest you to better create a backup before applying the fix.

Hope that helps.

I have tried following the above solution and now the "pciide-BAD" result has changed to "msachi-OK" but then I have found that the pci error in Computer Management is still there, I don’t know why, I have not tried out the manual process for editing the registry that you have mentioned above but then I have installed the Microsoft fix instead and this is what I had done:
    • I rebooted the system and then went in to the bios and then changed the ide to achi under "storage configuration"
    • After changing that I rebooted the machine again and then I got an error message saying something about the boot device, so here when I checked out the bios then I found that the SSD's boot priority had changed after putting it back the system normally and then it spent some time in installing the hardware.
    • When it was done then I started the AS SSD and found that the result had changed, the ssd is appearing to be working faster now.

But then how can I get rid of the pci error in Computer Management, is there anything I can do about it??