Thread: Agility 3 SSD freezes and unable to detect in BIOS

Agility 3 SSD freezes and unable to detect in BIOS

I recently purchased a Agility 3 SSD for my PC. I have just installed it and installed Windows 7 on it. After I start my PC, it works fine for some time, maybe for teen to fifteen minutes. After this time, the SSD just freezes and I have to reset my computer. I have connected the drive in the SATA III port on my motherboard. It was done as suggested by the developer’s manual. I have set the hot plug to off when installing this hard drive. The drivers that are being used by my SSD are default msahci drivers. I have tried changing the settings of my SSD via BIOS but BIOS cannot detect the SSD. The SSD doesn’t just freezes in fixed time. Sometimes it works even for two hours at a stretch. I have tried flashing the firmware and also updating it, but nothing has solved my problem. I have tried reformatting Windows 7 too, but it didn’t help in any way. Can anyone tell me what this is happening?

re: Agility 3 SSD freezes and unable to detect in BIOS

I too have a Agility 3 SSD in my PC, it does not freeze or stop working. But I have a same problem as you are facing. The SSD is not detected in the BIOS menu. I have tried depriving system of power for some days to see if the SSD appears in the BIOS menu, but nothing happened. I have an ASUS motherboard in my PC and I have connected my SSD in SATA II port. I haven’t tried various solutions as you have tried but I am satisfied with my SSD as it functions properly accept for showing in BIOS menu. I use Microsoft drivers in my system and firmware of version 2.15. I don’t know what problem can be but my guess will be that the issue is related to incompatibility of ports.

The Agility 3 SSD is an device which uses SandForce technology. This drives are not yet developed for compatibility with various motherboards. OCZ haven’t officially declared the compatibility specifications and other issues regarding the SSD. You can try resetting the BIOS settings back to default to see if the SSD is detected or not. I know the freezing issues that Agility 3 SSD faces and I think that the developers should design them according to the SATA standards till they find which peripherals are compatible with it. My opinion is that the SandForce technology is the main cause of this problem. It is because it uses hardware abstraction layer system in it which is incompatible with SATA protocols.

You can try erasing the hard drive using the ‘secure erase ssd’ technique. Now try flashing the firmware multiple times and then re-install Windows 7. Many times the firmware is not properly flashed in the first attempt. You will need to give it multiple tries. Also make sure that ahci is enabled in bios before you install Windows 7 in it. Try using SSD by connecting it in SATA 0 port. You can try running the memory testing in BIOS. It will keep running the memory test till it will boot. You don’t have to boot the PC, so press escape key as soon as it ends. This will reduce the BIOS SATA delay time and will help in proper detection of the SSD in your system.