Thread: Corsair H70 heatsink overheating

Corsair H70 heatsink overheating

I purchased a Corsair H70 heatsink yesterday and decided to set up the fans at the rear exit of my CPU. My cabinet doesn’t look good as and has insufficient airflow as the internal cables are blocking the exhaust and ventilations. I removed two cooling fans to fit the heatsink on the top of part of the cabinet. I hooked the pump to cooling fan and directed its direction toward the motherboard and connected it to two GTs of fan controller. During installation of heatsink, I had problem with setup of pump and cold plate before it was secure. Now my heatsink is overheating. Can someone tell me why it is happening? How can I solve this problem?

re: Corsair H70 heatsink overheating

You can run Prime95 on your computer and observe the rise in temperature. You can run Prime95 for around 15 minutes and if it is showing the temperature around 70 degree Celsius, then it is overheating. Using HWmonitor, you can get the temperature of the core of the processor and it shouldn’t be more than 60 degree Celsius. If the environment I which you are using the computer is hot, then the temperatures of mentioned parts can be higher. You can try setting the fans of your CPU to intake mode for better cooling. Many times intake mode does not work equally on every part of CPU. So you need to study the airflow in the CPU. This must be happening because of poor installation of fans, which is wrong location.

I thjink that you should try readjusting and moving the internal parts around to get better cooling. If your heatsink is overheating then the thermal cooling paste must be giving void. See if you are giving proper downforce to heatsink and it is being in proper contact with the thermal cooling paste. Loose screws or mounting of Heatsink can result in bad thermal conductivity. Try cleaning the dust in the CPU that must be the reason for this overheating. You can try using Water cooling loop for the processor. You should try moving the loop closer the overheating peripherals. You can try keeping the side panel open and the run the computer.

Set your fan to intake mode and provide a cooling device that releases a cooling agent from it. The fan will take in the cooling material and then spread it in the internal parts. You can give it a try. You can also try remounting the heatsink by applying new thermal cooling liquid on its base. You can also try overclocking the graphic card as it gives out most heat. Overclocking it will reduce the power consumption and thus generate less heat. Graphic card overheats when it needs to render graphics in real time speed. So you can restrict the framerate of such application, especially games to reduce the amount of generated heat. Switching the fan from intake to exhaust or vice verso doesn’t make much difference. It only works in few CPUs as structure of internal parts placement differs in all the systems.

You need to provide a good airflow to your CPU to maintain its temperature at normal level. If you CPU are placed in such a place which is covered by solid walls on all side, then you will need to move your cabinet out of it. The hot air released by the cooling fans in your CPU needs to go away in the environment, if you have place it in a closed place then the hot air won’t be released in environment properly leading to overheating of your CPU. You can use small fans outside the CPU which will blow away the hot air that gets accumulated around the CPU. Also see if you cooling fan is working in full speed. If not then check the reason, it can be due to insufficient power supply or accumulation of dust in its blades.