Thread: How to setup RAID in Lenovo ThinkServer RD230

How to setup RAID in Lenovo ThinkServer RD230

I am going to configure the Lenovo Thinkserver RD230 (4100 model) but I am stuck at RAID configuration now. If I try the EasyStartup cd (3.1.3), it keeps prompt me that I have to set SATA mode to SW RAID in BIOS. But the BIOS giving me only one option and that is are "Enhanced IDE" & RAID but they don’t seem to be picking up the drives. Tried with updated BIOS also but no result.

Re: How to setup RAID in Lenovo ThinkServer RD230

There no way you can use EasyStartUp to configure RAID with ThinkServer RD230. You have to set the RAID option in BIOS and also make sure to disable the quiet-boot. When the system boots, you will see a screen telling you to press Ctr-I to enter Intel Raid. There you can set up the RAID and after that only run the EasyStartUp CD to load your operating system

Question
    As you told I have disabled the Quiet-Boot option but no where I see an option to press CTRL-I during the boot process though. Later I got only 3 options:
    • DEL for Setup
    • F12 to select boot device
    • F11 for BBS setup

In all there I am getting only one option and that is boot to Network or Disc

I think that I have managed to work around it very well. The problem was that sold was incorrect. We actually put 3 SAS drives on a SAS back plate without a RAID Controller and due to this there was only one option SW RAID. So then we decided to use 4 SATA drives instead of the SAS drives. This time we were able to use Intel RAID controller during the system boot up. It is just a quick flash and so you have to be very quick to press Ctr-I to enter Intel Raid.

Yes. I think that it is true. You might not be getting the press hit CTRL-E or F8 option during the boot up in order to configure the RAID. In that case you have to go the BIOS> Storage tab> Mass Storage devices. There you have to change the SATA properties to SW RAID.. Now only you can see a pop in the Setup DVD and allow you to configure RAID from there. However if you look into the user guide about this, you will not get anything about BIOS configure change.

For your operating system, you have to install a compatible MegaCLI or MagaRAID Storage Manager. You can get this on EasyStart Up DVD. But I would rather suggest you to download the latest version from the support website. I hope that you know how to flash this new firmware to your computer. If you don’t know you could see in Lenovo support site