Thread: Hyper-V shows generic error in Lenovo ThinkServer TS130 (1106)

Hyper-V shows generic error in Lenovo ThinkServer TS130 (1106)

Few days ago I have purchased the Thinkserver TS130 (1106) and installed the Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition. Assuming that everything is working fine, I went to create a virtual machine by adding Hyper-V . Unfortunately but it does not start but displays a generic error. For that reason I took a tool to check whether my Intel processor has these characteristics or not. The result was not, it does not have Intel VT but the data sheet showing me opposite thing. Is there any way to solve the problem or should I change the processor?

Re: Hyper-V shows generic error in Lenovo ThinkServer TS130 (1106)

Did you enable the Intel Virtualization Technology in BIOS?
    In order to use Hyper-V or Virtual machine, you should enable Intel Virtualization Technology in BIOS. After that you can install and configure virtual servers using Hyper-V. So always make sure that following is enabled:
    • BIOS\Advanced\CPU Setup\Intel Virtualization technology
    • BIOS\Advanced\CPU Setup\VT-d

As far as I know that your processor really supports Virtualization. I don’t think that replacing the processor will going to fix your problem. It would have been better if you posted actual error here. In order to replicate your issue I have installed the W2K8 R2 on a TS130 and created a Hyper-V role and then a VM without any issues. I don’t know for what reason and how you are getting a problem like that. I hope that you have installed the Service Pack 1. If not, install It and I assume that it would fix that issue if it is related to the Intel CPU Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX) feature over Windows Server 2008 R2.

In order to run the VMware on your computer you need to get rid of the following things from the Anti-Virus software: • MMS.exe • VMWP.exe • VMSWP.exe. After that exclude the root directory that contain virtual machines as well as configuration files with s VHD • AVHD • VSV • ISO • VFD • XML. Can find a event log file on your host?

First of all check in inside the BIOS. To get it work I assume that you will need following settings:
    • Security > Execute Disable (Status set to On)
    • Performance > Virtualization (Status On)
    • Performance > VT for Direct I/O Access (Status to On)
    • Performance > Trusted Execution (Status to Off)

I don’t guarantee that this setting will work for everyone but you can give it a try. Also make sure that you have full control on the folder where you have install or stored vm. Sometimes it could be security issue. There is no use of Event Viewer in this case because it will not help you to find out a problem or solution rather than simply showing you errors. Try Windows update also.

The Microsoft denotes that this kind of issues occurs only if you the virtual hard disk (.vhd) file or the snapshot file permissions are incorrect. You might know that Hyper-V virtual machines contain a unique Virtual Machine ID (SID). If there is no Virtual Machine SID on security permissions on the .vhd or .avhd file or if it is missing from there, there is no way you can start the virtual machine. If you try to start it, you will see the following error.
    ‘General access denied error’ (0x80070005)
    Sometimes this kind of error message can also be seen due to the problem with Microsoft Emulated IDE Controller or the Microsoft Synthetic SCSI Controller.

If you are really looking forward to solve the issue, you have to add the Virtual Machine SID to the virtual HD (.vhd) file or to snapshot file (.avhd). To do this you can follow these steps:
    • Virtual Machine ID can be found in the "‘General access denied error’ (0x80070005)" error message.
    • When you get error message, the system will show Virtual Machine ID below the error. It looks some thing like this: 5FC5C385-BD98-451F-B3F3-1E50E06EE663
    • Now open the command prompt and enter the below command and then press ENTER:
    • icacls <Path of .vhd or .avhd file> /grant "NT VIRTUAL MACHINE\<Virtual Machine ID from step 1>":F
    • For example.
    • icacls "E:\VMs\VMName\Disk0.vhd" /grant "NT VIRTUAL MACHINE\5FC5C385-BD98-451F-B3F3-1E50E06EE663":F
    • Now you can try by launching the virtual machine