Thread: Poor Reading performance of PowerVault MD3200i

Poor Reading performance of PowerVault MD3200i

The read speed of PowerVault MD3200i is very slow as what I am expecting as per the specification. The performance is very low and I hope that some can help me to find out why the issue appear. There are two san in my network with a MD3000i. There are around 18 drives connected to the same. Another one has as 14 disc. Now both the device are connected on a single switch which are connected on a single san. Right-now with multiple physical server connected to the network I am not getting the data speed that I had expected. It was very low and some of the network users have complaint about slow site. I had also noticed a very low performance some days before. The speed is very low while copying files on the vm storage. Does reconfiguration of iSCSI host ports can be helpful here.

Re: Poor Reading performance of PowerVault MD3200i

There is actual answer behind the same why this happens. I had seen the read speed decreases a lot to. In some days it was just 2mb/s. While this devices have ability to write files on much higher speed. It looks the issue lies with mpio.

Does your storage is too old. Because as the device become older the speed goes down. I had in my office planned to shift to any other better storage medium this time. Our devices work 24x7 and we cannot rely on the low speed for our work. It is really a shame that this devices deteriorate is such a short period. Anyhow right also it not affordable to purchase such costly storage medium. I tried to go through the settings properly from scratch. What I conclude that the issue can be related to cache programming.

Reduce the jombo frame size and test the same. You can find a improvement in the current speed. What you can do is try to change the settings a number of time where you can find the most right settings for data read speed. Or better contact dell support.

The difference is speed also lies on the storage type you use. Like NAS are much faster than SAN. I had gone with nas setup a number of time and I had seen the speed reduces as the time goes on. The reason can be disc life. The value might differ between the devices which plays a virtual role in the performance output. What I recommended you to reconfigure the entire setup back again. You might gain some more speed in the cleanup process.

What are the drive sizes and rpm. Did you checked the specification. There are certain benchmark tools that you can use to find the right rpm of this drives. There can be multiple reason behind performance limitation.